What's new

Laser M5 Speakers

bigleo48

Reaction score
All,

I've been going through speakers in my M5...two in six months. I'm also hearing through the service guys that he's going threw them too.

Is this the case with you guys and has anyone come up with a better speaker?

Big Leo

easywash

Reaction score
M5 Speaker... Are they the same as the G5

I don't know if the m5 and g5 speakers are the same but I have gone through no less than 5-6 speakers in the last 2 years.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I'd imagine that they are either 4 or 8 ohm, go to a car stereo place and replace with a better quality all weather one.

MEP001

Reaction score
pitzerwm said:
I'd imagine that they are either 4 or 8 ohm, go to a car stereo place and replace with a better quality all weather one.
Or maybe a boat stereo shop.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I'm now realizing that PDQ went with a 8ohm, 4" 15 watt speaker...not very common. I may just put in a small amp and some outdoor speakers, mount them in a dry place and be done with it!

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I just had to change my first speaker in the in bay directional sign. I used part No. 0465001 Speaker, 6W/10W, 8-Ohms, 102mm, Mylar-C, Rj12 from my distributor.

After install it still doesnt work, but if you get right down in front of it you can hear it very faintly. I checked the volume level on the set up under Audio and it is at 100%.

Any ideas what else might be wrong? About a month ago I received a PDQ product Bulletin from my distributor for the M5 signs. It was Number MPPB-0022 and suggested removing one of the 24Vac power phases from the LED signs to reduce brightness and increase life expectancy. Would that have anything to do with why the speaker is only whispering?

Any help would be appreciated!

ScottV

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
ScottV, those two scenarios are completely un-related. Get them to exchange the speaker for you.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Kris,

I happened to have another speaker on the shelf as they are the same ones used in the Access unit. I opened up the sign housing, plugged the new one into the com cable, and it also whispered.

I can't believe that both of the new speakers are bad. Any other ideas on what could be causing this?

ScottV

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
Couple things. First, to verify if the speaker is good, make sure you have 8 ohms across it. Secondly, get yourself a new telephone cable, connect it into the Hub board and the speaker to rule out the cable. This can be a short cable and just test from the backroom. If that does not change things, then the problem may be in the hub board or viper board. The driver for the speaker is in the Viper, and the amp is built into the hub board.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Kris,

Thanks for all of the advice. A WET tech was there yesterday working on some other items and he checked the hub connection and found it to be loose! Snugged it up and the speaker is working fine now.

I appreciate you and PDQ monitoring this site and offering advice to operators that are dealing with problems. It is very helpful and I also think it speaks well for the type of service that PDQ provides to its Distributors and operators.

ScottV