What's new

Laser 4000 standard treadle modifications?

Harper220

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new member. I have a Laser 4000 that's been in operation since 1996. My question: Has anybody made their own modifications to the standard treadle to make it easier for the customer to get in place? For example, added guide rails or experimented with any other type of treadle. Mine is getting very worn and has some play, which causes the sensor to lose contact with the metal tab. It's probably time to replace the entire treadle, but just wanted to get some feed back if there's something better to replace it with, without going to the virtual treadle.

I have a local car wash supplier (Dultmeier Sales) that has a pressure pad and always thought hummm, why couldn't a guy fabricate something?

Any feedback or ideas would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

galen

Reaction score
Where are you located? I'm in northern Missouri. I got two complete treadles laying out in my pasture next to the fence. They have been there for about 5 years. In good shape the last time I mowed close to them. You can have them if you want' em. PM me or shoot me an email. But I've been through what your going through. I got rid of them. Best single thing I ever did as far as up grades to the 4000. G

Harper220

Reaction score
I'm in Glenwood, IA - which is roughly an hour and forty-five minutes from Smithville. I might seriously consider driving down if that's the case. Did you replace them with the virtual treadle and if so, how's that working out?

On the other hand, I want what's easiest for the customer. I have a Super Wash in town and their IBA has rails on both sides running the entire length of the bay. It seems as though their customers have less problems getting into place.

galen

Reaction score
I alway had trouble with the customer driving in and when they bumped the rail they would turn INTO the rail instead of turning away from the rail. I tired paint on the floor, signs, but two things that helped the most was moving my ACW out 10" past the edge of the door, instead of being inline with the door jamb. Also retro fitting the Virtual Treadle got rid of 90% of my headaches. After the snow melts, I'll go check on the condition of the treadles. PM or email me your number.

lag

Reaction score
We ,have in the past done a few things that may help you also. 1) we doubled up on the rubber bumpers under the treadle,by this i mean I drilled 2 holes on each side of the current location of the bumpers,and installed 2 bumpers on each side of the ramp instead of one.
2) we had made stainless blocks and replaced the plastic blocks that the ramp swivals back ,and forth on. 3) we beefed up the exit end roller bracket by welding onto the current brackets a triangle peice that extends towards the driver side wall,and the passenger side wall ,we then added metel peices to the block the bolts go through ,on the bottom ,where the above bracket bolts to ,and drilled 2 holes,thereby giving us 4 bolts to help hold the rollers in place.
Finally ,and this was the cure all. We installed The Virtual treadle, and I have not had to get down ,on my hands ,and knees,and work on a filthly ,friggen treadle plate agian!!!

JIMT

Reaction score
Harper,
Guide rails are the worst things to have in an automatic. We have 4 automatics and one had guide rails. This caused constant problems the driver always turns into the rail and climbs it. We removed the rails and the problems went away.

We use D&S air operated treadle. Most of it is stainless and it works very well. We had heavy duty covers made to go over the air cylinder and levers.

On our high pressure auto we narrowed the width of the treadle so the auto will not start unless the car is in position so the car can not be hit by the machine.
Jim T

Washmechanic

Washmechanic, Ibas. ss,
Reaction score
We have two locations and did everything that Lag did except for the stainless steel pivot blocks, it helped but it was still a royal pain. Two years ago we installed virtual treadles at each location and it's been Great. The customers adjusted to the change immediately. It speeds up the wash because customers just drive in and stop, no alinging or jockeying to get up on the trreadle etc. Cleaning the bay is much easier without the treadle to trap mud and rocks. Dualies fit in the wash with easy. Visit one and I think you'lll see the benefits.