What's new

Laser 4000 I/O Modules

Etowah

zed 9

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, here's a question for those that have plenty of Laser 4000 experience, on one of the Input modules (cards) in the JO electrical box none of the LEDs are coming on when the 4000 goes around and washes a car, the 4000 is doing all the mechanical movements as it goes around just no LEDs come on and off. The Input Module i'm referring to is the X10 - X17 X20 - X27 DC Input.
Anyone know what the problem could be.
TIA

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I actually haven’t had any issues with my input cards so I can’t tell you exactly where to look and I’m not at that site, but have you checked that you have DC power?

I know there is a DC power supply that normally has a red LED on it. There are also a whole bank of fuses that some people aren’t aware of. I would imagine there is one for the inputs.

Just re-read your question….are you saying the wash is operating normally with the exception of the LED lights on the input cards? If that’s the case I’ve got nothing.

Bud's

Reaction score
I believe what you're talking about is called stray voltage and it may actually be from bad grounds. If you have a bad connection in J2, J3, J4 at the wago connections or possible corrosion in the wires from JO to J2 this will show up. It has also been an issue for me if a prox switch is going bad and have seen it with no stray voltage after sitting over night, but progressively get worse throughout the day as the wash is used.

zed 9

Reaction score
GoBuckeyes yes thats correct the wash is operating normally, and thanks for your reply

Bud's i can check the connections in the J boxes, something may be wrong

PEI

Reaction score
Type in 66356#. Select run diagnostics and select X10 input card. The display will show each of the 8 inputs with either a 0 or a 1. 0's the A-5000 sees as off. 1's are seen as on. If it's seeing the correct inputs as being on and off then the LED's don't matter. They just make it easier for you and don't affect the wash.

zed 9

Reaction score
thankyou PEI, i'll try what you have said, i thought there would be another way of checking the inputs other than eyeballing the LEDs

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
That is a weird one Zed. I've seen stray voltage make the LEDs kinda look like they're lit up while the machine is running but why they're not lighting up, I have no idea. Have you called PDQ and asked a tech? Please update if you figure it out.

zed 9

Reaction score
PDQ tech said to replace the ribbon cable, could fix the LEDs not working. I assume that is the ribbon cable that goes behind all the modules, which looks like a big job to remove all the modules just for the LEDs not working on module.

MEP001

Reaction score
The wires all come off together with two screws on each bank, and the module comes off the track by lifting a small catch on the bottom.

zed 9

Reaction score
thanks MEP001 for jumping into our discussion, i see 2 screws that hold the module to the track and then the module slides off the track, the modules in the JO and the spare new module i have there is no 2 screws on each bank to remove and no small catch, may be i have new type of modules or an older version, i don't know. On the new module the wire terminal block is soldered to the card all one piece.
But having another look at the modules this afternoon probably could leave all the wires attached to the modules and slide them off the track, looks like there is just enough slack in the wires.

John J Spokas

Reaction score
Check the cables that connect from the PLC to the I/O modules, remove, reinsert and jiggle. Often I have seen that helps because very slight and almost invisible corrosion can happen on these connectors and moving them can help remove that. Also use a little contact cleaner on those connections...this also dovetails nicely with what PDQ tech support said