What's new

Lamb Vac Motors VS KR Vac Motors

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I noticed that I have been going through a lot of vac motors recently. I usually have a KR $28 (VMK19) as a spare but forgot to order one as a spare. I installed a lamb from a local supplier and I think it was about $50. I was wondering if the extra cost is worth it for the Lamb. Also, because these motors are so inexpensive, I never consider changing brushes or trying to repair. I know the brush repair is easy but never want to fool with it. Am I foolish for not trying to repair? Lastly, (as an aside) has anyone noticed that KR service seems to be slowing down? In the past I would order before 3PM and it would almost always ship that day, now some orders aren't shipping for 2 to 3 days.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm using the Domel motors from Windtrax. I quit using the GS motors a couple years ago because they were failing in less than half the time the original Lamb motors lasted, and it was usually bearing problems so they weren't even repairable. The Domel is cheaper than a Lamb, has more volume and suction and is quieter than the regular motor, and the brushes are very easy to change.

I try not to order from Kleen-Rite at all anymore unless I have to, not because they're slow but because they frequently ship something wrong and almost always have to backorder something.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
1. FWIW I have tried several brands but don't notice any significant longer life with anything compared to KR but that is an unscientific opinion. I guess a simple experiment would be to run 2 different brands in the same vac and see what happens.
2. I think you really need to change brushes before they wear out for this to significantly improve motor life. In order to do thsi you would need to monitor use rates and schedule this maintenance. Now, how much is your time worth? If a motor is $30.00 and replacing brushes extends it's life 50% then the job is worth $15.00 Deduct the cost of parts and agravation factors and only you can tell if it' worth it.
3. When my motors fail there is often significant signs of corrosion, so there is likely a bunch of stuff ready to go wrong besides brushes.

washnvac

Reaction score
I agree with Earl. I did the brush thing once.....that was the end of that. The KR motors have been lasting fine for me--always 2-3 years +. I keep my bags shook down-at least 3 times per week. I always put two new motors on, then use the one good old one to replace an old with an old. When I built my first wash in '94, my equipment guy said to never put a new motor with an old, because the new would pull agaist the old--or something like that.

Randy

Reaction score
We’ve never had a problem with Kleen-Rite. We buy twice a year and get everything in a couple of days, most of the time everything comes out of Vegas.

About every 12 months or so we pull the bags out of the vac’s and replace them with a spare set we have, at that time we replace the brushes in the lamb motors. I have found that the replacement brushes don’t last as long as the factory installed brushes. We use Lamb motors in all the vac's

I don’t think it necessary to replace both motors if one goes bad, just make sure they are both the same model and mfg. At least I’ve never done it in the 28 years I’ve been in the car wash business.

We clean out our vac’s 3 times a week to keep them at their peak. We have customers who drive by the other wash to come to our wash to vacuum, because the other wash doesn’t maintain there vac’s. There ac’s are .50 for 5 minutes and we are $1.00 for 3 minutes. So I don’t think price matters.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I lose suction, it's usually bad brushes. I replace them and all is fine again.

I try and empty mine often, but not as often as Randy.;

I use the cheap motors.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
We’ve never had a problem with Kleen-Rite. We buy twice a year and get everything in a couple of days, most of the time everything comes out of Vegas.

About every 12 months or so we pull the bags out of the vac’s and replace them with a spare set we have, at that time we replace the brushes in the lamb motors. I have found that the replacement brushes don’t last as long as the factory installed brushes. We use Lamb motors in all the vac's

I don’t think it necessary to replace both motors if one goes bad, just make sure they are both the same model and mfg. At least I’ve never done it in the 28 years I’ve been in the car wash business.

We clean out our vac’s 3 times a week to keep them at their peak. We have customers who drive by the other wash to come to our wash to vacuum, because the other wash doesn’t maintain there vac’s. There ac’s are .50 for 5 minutes and we are $1.00 for 3 minutes. So I don’t think price matters.
Wow, clean your vacs three times a week? Seems like overkill to me. My vacs really suck and they get a thorough cleaning once a month (and I have a busy wash). I have Coleman supervacs with huge collection containers. If I thought it would benefit the customer experience, I would clean them everyday. Probably could save on some man hours. Just my opinion.

MEP001

Reaction score
Buzzie8 said:
Wow, clean your vacs three times a week? Seems like overkill to me.
The 4-bag vacs will usually keep good suction until they're full of trash to the top of the bags. I clean them out frequently because of smell issues.