What's new

KR foam brush assembly

Rich

Reaction score
Anybody having problems with the pre made foam brush assemblys from kleen rite. I had to replace 5 the last couple of weeks. They are not that old. They leak around where they are crimped.

Randy

Reaction score
Which Foam Brush hose assembly are you talking about? Have you contacted Kleen-Rite? Which end is leaking or is it both ends? We make up our own Foam Brush hose assemblies.

soapy

Reaction score
The kleenrite foam brush assemblies I use all come with reusable ends, When a hose breaks it is just above the fitting and I just unscrew it and cut the bad end of the hose off and reattach. They semm to last me for years.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW a few years ago an operator told me he used HP hose for FB. Seems the lighter FB hose can crimp stopping the weep and causing freezing, so that's what I use. Not much more expensive than the FB assembly.

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks Randy. Yes I told KR. The order taker said she would pass my concern along. It's the brush end that's crimped . In the KR catalog it's " foamy hose assembly "

Last edited:

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks Soapy. It's the end that's none repairable not the end that goes into the boom

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks Earl. I have side mount FB boom. A Lot of car slapping. Hp hose would be to stout

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Thanks Earl. I have side mount FB boom. A Lot of car slapping. Hp hose would be to stout
I've been using 1/4" Hp on side-mount booms for years. Lighter weight, durable, kink-free, and less slappy. The smaller diameter also blows out more completely and maybe...just maybe, delivers foam to the brush a bit quicker(?)

soapy

Reaction score
Both ends of my foamy brush asssemblies are reusable. On the end that mounts to the foamy brush when the hose gets kinked and breaks the first time I add about a 1 foot long length of bigger rubber hose over the smaller hose and fitting to prevent further kinks in the hose. Inever have a problem after that.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I'll share something I learned today about my Erie Hogs Hair (Aluminum frame) foam brushes since its realitive to the thread. I just had a FB head that started leaking foam from the black rubber gasket that is like a bumper around the aluminum frame.

I thought it was junk even though there was a lot of life left in the brush hair. So in trying to take the gasket out, I discovered the gasket was sandwiched between two aluminum halves with (4) screws. You'll find the screws burried in the hair of the brush. When I took it apart the aluminum was pretty corroded which let the foam get out between the gasket and the aluminum housing. A little wire brushing and cleaning up with a soft wheel grinder was all it took to get it to seal along with a little silicone.

These FB heads are too expensive to just throw away when they are not worn out. So if you have one leaking around the gasket, maybe its worth fixing. It only took me about 20 minutes....

Heres the one I use:

http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1905-erie-hogs-hair-walum-casting-black.aspx

HCW

Reaction score
FB two part question:
1) I purchased new irie hog hair replacements(whole brush head) but I couldn't unscrew the old ones to replace. Is there a trick to unscrew em?
2) I thought I'll try out the FB coil hoses instead of the pliovic Goodyear thinking "customer will like them more", but after making the switch the foam brushes don't put out as much foam! All bays have the same problem, the new hoses pulsate like they have air pockets in them! The old Goodyear hoses were 3/8 250psi and the new coil hoses are 3/8 150psi.
Do I need to make any adjustment?

MEP001

Reaction score
FB two part question:
1) I purchased new irie hog hair replacements(whole brush head) but I couldn't unscrew the old ones to replace. Is there a trick to unscrew em?
Put grease in the screw holes before you ever put them into service, or buy them new with the plastic backing, or just replace the whole head (Once you buy a refill and bumper you've almost spent as much as a new head).

2) I thought I'll try out the FB coil hoses instead of the pliovic Goodyear thinking "customer will like them more", but after making the switch the foam brushes don't put out as much foam! All bays have the same problem, the new hoses pulsate like they have air pockets in them! The old Goodyear hoses were 3/8 250psi and the new coil hoses are 3/8 150psi.
Do I need to make any adjustment?
The coil hoses are smaller ID which is going to restrict the foam. They do make 1/2" OD coil hoses which are 3/8" ID. And no, customers don't like the coil hoses. I use GoodYear Instagrip with puch-lock fittings - it's a LOT more expensive but it lasts several years and doesn't kink.

HCW

Reaction score
MEP
thanks for the quick reply. I did purchase the whole head to replace the existing one, but I couldn't unscrew the whole head from the handle.

Last edited:

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Doesn't your handle have a hex fitting at the base? I just put mine on the ground and hold the head with my knee. Then just take a wrench and unscrew the handle from the head.....

DiamondWash

Reaction score
We replaced our 12 year old coil FB hoses with 3/8 straight hose and it made a world of difference in the amount of foam and that you don't get a "Free Beating" with your wash as for taking off the FB head from the wand we cut about an inch of rubber covering at the bottom and use a vise grip to hold the wand and unscrew the foam brush head.

MEP001

Reaction score
MEP
thanks for the quick reply. I did purchase the whole head to replace the existing one, but I couldn't unscrew the whole head from the handle.
Sorry, I thought you were trying to replace a refill on an existing head.

I usually replace the FB heads once before I replace the handle. Sometimes I can put a wrench on the nut on the other end and twist both the wrench and the handle while standing on the head and get it to break loose from the head, but most of the time I end up cutting about an inch of the vinyl coating off the handle just below the head to use a pipe wrench.

HCW

Reaction score
As far as the coil hose, I'll probably wait and see customers reaction to it, I spent $150 on 4 of them and I hate to take them out before I get some feed back. The reason I replaced the old hoses, is every time I washed my truck, the hose got stuck between the cab and the bed and it's frustrating, so I assumed it did the same thing to customers.
I raised the pressure on the product from 40psi to 60psi and also cranked up the air pressure from 60psi to 70 psi and so far I am getting excellent foam in the bays (just like prior to replacing the hoses).
I'll try removing some vinyl tomorrow and see if I can get the FB heads replaced. Thanks for the advice.

sparkey

Reaction score
Now you got me thinking I may want to switch form coiled hose to straight hose for faster changeover times. If you go from coiled hose to straight hose does the extra hose lay on the floor when the brush is hung on the wall? How long do you make your hoses for a straight hose. Is 3/8 hose the general concensus for the correct hose size?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
How long do you make your hoses for a straight hose. Is 3/8 hose the general concensus for the correct hose size?
My method is to measure from the boom outlet to the bay floor and add 3'. That seems to work well for most customers. The hose does touch the floor when the brush assembly is stored.

I use 1/4" 100-R1 hose with SW-504A swivels on both ends. Long lasting, quick foam delivery (making foam directly above the booms), thorough purging with the freeze protection system, and zero kinking. Yeah, the 100-R1 is a little loud when it bangs against the side of the car but nobody seems to mind.