What's new

Korean "Car Culture" Car Washes

Etowah

aloha

Reaction score
I understand the cost of land, construction, equipment, payroll, etc, and how that makes opening a self serve model totally unrealistic in today's world, but... has anyone in the US converted or doing something similar to the modern European models like EHRLE touch free self serve (no brush). Check it out here... ( European Modern Wash ) or the Korean Car Culture models. Click here ( Korean Car Wash ). It seems US self serves are sadly a dying breed and operators are mostly doing there best to maintain. Love to hear from any progressive operators.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
I'm not understanding what you're asking. I watched both videos and they're just regular self-serve washes with just a different style building and equip. Is that what you referring to?

aloha

Reaction score
Probably. not the best video examples, but the Korean models have modern structures and equipment, cafes, club like light shows, membership requirements and many are higher end clientele (Apologies, video did not deliver that image). Searching the European models, many seem very clean, bright, modern facilities and some are no brush (self serve touchless using some type of soft micro-beaded solution that acts as mini-scrubbers and takes place of the brush). I have only seen the typical 20-30 year old sights, wondering if anyone is pioneering more of a classy DIY detail bay. Thanks for replying.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Just curious if you have a wash or looking to get into the business?

" It seems US self serves are sadly a dying breed and operators are mostly doing there best to maintain"

I've been doing this for 8 years only, far from the experience a lot of these guys have, but my revenue has increased each year at each wash (3 total). This year in part with the pandemic and snowmageddon down here in Tx( back in Feb.) has been a fantastic year.

HeyVern

Reaction score
Look like basic self serve washes without foaming brushes to me

OurTown

Reaction score
I am sure as hell not going to convert to anything like what is showed in the videos and I would lay money down that our wash would outperform those in cleaning ability. Our self serve is not dying and is doing the best year ever.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I think many like to say the SS segment is dying because of the many washes that should never have been built back in the late nineties/early aughts. There was a gold rush back then, similar to what is going on with express washes right now. I don't think the level of insanity back then compares to now, but basically the same thing. We all see rotting SS wash carcasses around. We probably won't see as many when the expresses start failing, simply because most have been built on prime property and they will be bulldozed in short order. I'll bet that landscape will be drastically different in 10 years, if not sooner.

soapy

Reaction score
I put in a tire shine machine a couple years ago. It ended up attracting the Ricer car enthusiasts. They started to use the wash as a meeting point on friday and saturday nights. They would hang out and block everything up and 2 or 3 would shine their tires. The 2 or 3 hours of congestion was not worth it. Probably looked like the Korean club model. We had 3 new Express washes open in out town this year with another 1 or 2 being planned. I honestly do not see any express here doing enough business to make the payments. 8 express washes in a town of 60K. There will always be a market for good SS washes. My washes are up 25% in the last 2 years even with all this new competition.