What's new

Kleen-Rite Unit?

dpessler

Reaction score
Thinking of installing a Pet Wash in a slow self serve bay.

Does anyone own the unit Klenn-Rite sells and are you happy with it?

What are the best demographics for a pet wash?

Also, do you like the pet wash business?

Thanks!
Doug

A.Milton

Reaction score
I bought a kleen rite unit used. Hope to have it up and running in 2 weeks. My complaint to date is the water pressure but not sure if kleen rite could/should have taken this into consideration by the sounds of the complaints I've read on low water pressure I think maybe they should offer 2 units...one with booster pump and one w/out. Just my opinion to date. Like I said this was a used set up. I thoroughly cleaned or replaced all aspects of the equipment. I have had no problems to date but will know more in 2 weeks when customers start using.

A.Milton

Reaction score
I've had a lot of issues but all due to the fact this is an old carwash and what is here will not support any additions of anything unless it seems to become more then I anticipated prior to making the dogwash decision.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
There seems to be a slight technicality in having more pressure & that is potentially upsetting the amount of chemical draw that will occur & the fact that some dog owners would rather have a more gentle pressure. I am wondering if the Aussie K9 units that KleenRite also sold as an option a few years back ... addressed that potential want from the customers? Has anybody who has checked out the variety of units both USA made & foreign made if they have the greater force as a "rinse only" option on the controls that they offer for the pet owner? Unless the city water pressure is really wimpy at the location ... I am having trouble seeing where a booster pump would be a good choice as suggested in a previous post. On a previous pet wash thread someone suggested that National Pride did something along the lines of more pressure on their newer Pet Washes ... I am not sure what their process is & whether or not drawbacks have been seen???

Doug ... Yes ... we & our customers really like our pet wash & so far no regrets after 5 years ... although it does make it more likely you will need to have someone or yourself cleaning up after some of the less considerate customers! Kind of notice if almost every pickup truck owner coming into your car wash has a dog with him or her ... because that is probably a demographic that some of the more "highfalutin" consultants might miss.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

dpessler

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the All Paws brand?

Doug

sparkey

Reaction score
I purchased a used All Paws brand petwash prefab building and am happy with it. The chemical controls seem to be an exact copy of the national pride setup. I went with the prefab to get around all the regulations and BS of adding on to my existing building.

A.Milton

Reaction score
You bring up a valid point Sparkey...Has anyone that converted a self serve bay into dogwash had any issues with permits of any kind or ordinance issues?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
You bring up a valid point Sparkey...Has anyone that converted a self serve bay into dogwash had any issues with permits of any kind or ordinance issues?
A. Milton,

We were told by a structural engineer that the city would require both thorough soil testing & additional footings because of what Sparkey referred to as the attach to existing building technicality. Long story short ... the local chief inspector looked at our own sketches & told us that we had enough footings & gave us the permit. Each situation & unique factors could be pertinent ... in our case we also attached the 2 room "breeze way" dog wash to a canopy structure ... not just the laundromat & car wash concrete block buildings.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

Kevin James

Reaction score
Is there any money to be made with a pet wash? How much revenue do they bring in? At one time there were 4 or 5 in our area and now they are only a couple left. My girlfriend and I stopped at one once, they had 2 tubs and it smelled so bad she almost puked! It seems like they also have to be cleaned every time they are used.

MEP001

Reaction score
That's all inline with what I read here, people pull them out for lack of income and high maintenance.

A.Milton

Reaction score
There are a lot of variables to whether anything succeeds....I've been visiting dog washes for about past 3 years before making my decision. Out of 6 different locations, one had odor and no I did not wash my dog at that location. The owner said he would sell his equipment not making money....well I could easily see it was due to condition and odor. I drove 90 minutes to visit, walked in and out.i also was not happy with units with poor water pressure. It didn't matter so much washing a blue healer breed but once I rescued this sheltie breed I was not happy with amount of time and money it took to wash my dog myself. I could make an appointment with a groomer for same price. So pressure is an issue as far as I am concerned also. If our car washes were not maintained it would bring the same response. I am willing to work at it, it is brand new it will remain clean once open. I plan opening valentines day....this I know about pets and the pet industry...times have changed. People spend big bucks on their pets, they are part if the family. When I was a kid I wouldn't dream if asking if the dog or cat could come in the house, let alone sit on the furniture...pets are now sleeping with people, in their cars, times have changed. I converted a self serve bay in an old 6 bay self serve wash. I had to do something...I didn't need 6 bays in my area. I bought a used kleeneite unit with mechanics in back panel and am expecting a national pride unit to arrive within the week where the mechanics with be in mechanical room. Rodney at National Pride is an excellent help...he is what helped in making my decision to choose a national Pride unit. After all, they are all pretty similar. I have had people on my heels to get it open. They are circling with dogs in their back seats. I live in a county seat and have great traffic flow...I'm anticipating the best. I have thought out mist things but did not take into consideration that present self serve is older it runs great with self serve bays. But adding 2 dogwash units to hot water, etc. I did not anticipate. This board has helped me tremendously tweaking what I have and in working around putting in added unnecessary expense.

A.Milton

Reaction score
Another thing National Pride was willing to do....Rodney...was make unit wider then what was available from any/all the companies making equipment. He also worked with equipment I had from carwash, updated it and new graphics. He went above and beyond. I am anxious to get equipment in so I can do a comparison. Good luck with your decisions but the best thing you can do is get out on the road and visit some dogwash businesses, ask questions and use the equipment yourself.

Dcalhoun

Reaction score
We converted a poor performing self serve bay into a dog wash 7 years ago. Our best year generated $22,000 or worst was last year with revenue at $16,000. I am still happy with the cross business nature of having it here. I do not have an explanation though for declining revenue that seems to be area wide for dog washes.

Yes, they do require maintenance - we try to wash the tub after each customer - and mop the dog wash daily with bleach water. By doing this we are able to make smell a non issue. I also installed a pool skimmer basket in the drain system where I can put in chlorine tabs to kill the odor so the pit doesn't stink.

As far as equipment, we piece mealed it. The tub we got from a grooming supplier, coin box from Dultmeier, simple solenoid banks and so on from various suppliers in and out of the car wash industry. We put the solenoids and chemicals in a cabinet on the opposite side of the wall where customers can't see it or get to it. More work to design it yourself, but much less expense. These aren't very complicated and after looking at a few you can figure out what you will need to build it yourself.