What's new

"keypad sticking" question

wood

Reaction score
I have a question about our DRB keypad. We have a 7 year old 96 key entry keypad. Sometimes we get a "keypad sticking" message. That particular key doesn't beep and in fact is stuck as it doesn't push in. The 3 times it happened we just relocated the sale item to an open key.

My question is once that happens is there a cleaning method , simple repair to fix and restore the key? ? Or, is it permanently unusable? Will this shortly happen to the rest of them and need to replace the keypad?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Wood

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I think you can disable the stuck key using the software. It should disable itself automatically for a period of time. I have had success repairing stuck keys by peeling off the touch membrane from the aluminum plate it is attached to and re-gluing it. The aluminum plate gets corroded and makes the keys act up.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
7 years? It owes you nothing... lol. But in all seriousness, moving it to another key is the least expensive option untill you decide to replace it. DRB had an exchange program that will run you $595 +shipping for a keypad which is $1600 new. Very cost effective IMO.

Depending on if this is a greeter/cashier keypad or a tunnel controller it may not be worth your time and effort to repair if the corrosion is bad enough.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
7 years? It owes you nothing... lol. But in all seriousness, moving it to another key is the least expensive option untill you decide to replace it. DRB had an exchange program that will run you $595 +shipping for a keypad which is $1600 new. Very cost effective IMO.

Depending on if this is a greeter/cashier keypad or a tunnel controller it may not be worth your time and effort to repair if the corrosion is bad enough.
The only way you can get the exchange discount is if you are a support group member. I agree that 7 years is a reasonable amount of time for the pad to work. I have several that are still working fine at over 10 years of age.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that was a "members only" benefit. Have always had the support there. In that case if there is a way to fix it then it might be worthwhile doing a DIY with pictures for it.