What's new

Key Organization! How do you do it?

Etowah

wrightwash

Reaction score
Between 5 self-serve bays, vendors, dispensers, doors, and vacuums I have a whole mess of keys. Does anyone have a good solution for organizing all their keys?

Overachiever

Reaction score
You could put all the keys in a key safe somewhere in the car wash and then just keep the door keys and key safe keys on the keychain.

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
You could put all the keys in a key safe somewhere in the car wash and then just keep the door keys and key safe keys on the keychain.
DO NOT leave ANY keys at the car wash. I've said this a hundred times to people and they still do it. I just got a bunch of texts this morning about a break-in where someone had their keys in a flimsy lock box. Someone will eventually break in and get the keys, then you have to replace everything. Key management is the key. Keep track of the numbers off-premises so you can order replacements, don't label your key ring so if you lose it somewhere not at the car wash no one knows what they go to.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
DO NOT leave ANY keys at the car wash. I've said this a hundred times to people and they still do it. I just got a bunch of texts this morning about a break-in where someone had their keys in a flimsy lock box. Someone will eventually break in and get the keys, then you have to replace everything. Key management is the key. Keep track of the numbers off-premises so you can order replacements, don't label your key ring so if you lose it somewhere not at the car wash no one knows what they go to.
I could not possible agree more. All of it.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I HATE gigantic key rings, cant put them in a pocket without stabbing something vital.
So I also have less than a dozen keys, including for my truck and house. Keyed-alike locks is the key.
I keep them on a few separate key rings, and I use quick release key rings as well for organization and convenience.
I like the heavy duty ones, here are 2 I use:
heavy duty magnetic
quick connect style

MEP001

Reaction score
I HATE gigantic key rings
I occasionally do some work for a guy who never shows up, he just leaves his keys with someone for me to pick up. I'm not exaggerating, there must be 75 keys in the bundle. I've counted 15 different Medeco keys, but there are only eight Medeco locks in the whole place. Most of these keys don't go to anything anymore, he's just too lazy to go through them and toss the bad ones. It was the same with my wash, I got a 1 lb. coffee can full of keys, most of which were useless.

Randy

Reaction score
We have 1 key for vending, 1 key for the coin vaults, 1 key for all bay and vacuum faces plates and 2 keys for the vacuums. I must have 2 buckets of locks that aren’t complete sets anymore.

I don’t how many times over the years that I’ve been to car washes or laundromats and they come out with a couple of handfuls of keys. I think to myself boy this is a well-run operation.

One operator I knew used a First Alert fire safe to keep his keys and money in. He had it bolted to the work bench. When he got broken into they snapped the safe off the work bench and everything was gone, about $2500 in cash. 2 nights later they came back and clean out the coin boxes before he could get new locks installed.

When I order locks I order more than I need, if I need 4 I order 6, just to have a spare.

Overachiever

Reaction score
Valid points on the key safe idea, out of curiosity do these people who are getting their equipment rooms broken into have any other form of security, like alarm systems with motion detection, cameras, etc?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I was kind of blown away when I very recently got my brand new 2022 complete technology package vehicle that just requires a Proximity FOB ... no need to use a key except in an emergency. Old hat for some but new for me! Also, I am acquainting myself with a Ooma Phone Plan ... it has a Geofencing capability for their alarm accessories that automatically disarms as you leave the area of the car wash carrying their security app on a verified & registered cell phone.

The point I am trying to make is that possibly there will less of a need for actual physical keys for at least a portion of what we need locked up at our facilities. As long as there is "a good enough backup plan" this type of technology could be OK. A wee bit like a "working coin-currency safety valve provision" even though the cashless approach is being pushed by so many.

OurTown

Reaction score
If it is dumb to keep your keys at the car wash (and I'm not denying that) what then do you do when you have multiple employees that also work at several of your locations?

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Between 5 self-serve bays, vendors, dispensers, doors, and vacuums I have a whole mess of keys. Does anyone have a good solution for organizing all their keys?
It would seem you could have 1-3 Keys for Bays. I have one for the Coin box and 2 for the vault since it has a puck covering a plug, The Plug for the Vault is the same key as the plug for the changer. All Vacs could be keyed alike as could all venders. Perhaps Changer can be keyed the same as something else. So, that would be about 6 keys - depending on situation. I also need another pair for the Bill Acceptor, but if motivated I could match it to something else.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
this thread is making me want to go through my big key ring and whittle it down a little. Changer, building doors, meter box doors and drawers. I could put the keys to the vacuums and vending machines on a separate ring because I don't need those as often.

The other thing I like to do once in a while is to wash my key ring because it gets so scuzzy.

MC3033

Reaction score
I’d just color code them. Dabs of paint or something on each key and the lock they go to

MEP001

Reaction score
I have keys to about 20 car washes. I bought a pack of keyrings and a pack of 1-1/2" valve marking brass disks and a letter punch kit to mark the disks. All those are on a carabiner in alphabetical order (I mark the owners' initials so if they get stolen the crook doesn't know what they go to).