What's new

Justifying touchfree auto replacement

Etowah

Dylanbennett

Reaction score
I have an older pro equipment wash that isn't getting any younger and am considering updating. How many cpd would justify spending 200-300k on a new setup. We currently average 9 cpd but have had some breakdowns which isnt helping and am wondering if a new machine with more features and lighting would bring more traffic to the wash. On a main road averages 12,000 cpd.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Without a complete site makeover the auto will be slow to come back. I sure wouldn't bother with an auto on the more expensive side without a makeover.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i replced my old iba when it became too much trouble; breakdowns, time and expense of repair.

i remodeled my bay but not the entire wash.

mine was a success. i put a razor in place of an old superior side trac. my cpd is 10,500. i knew the razor would be a big hit; competitors run friction.

look at your competition and customer base. interest rates are high which makes your break even point higher. start with the monthly pmt and work backward from there. include a healthy price increase. many guys have success with buy ups.

Roz

Reaction score
I have an older pro equipment wash that isn't getting any younger and am considering updating. How many cpd would justify spending 200-300k on a new setup. We currently average 9 cpd but have had some breakdowns which isnt helping and am wondering if a new machine with more features and lighting would bring more traffic to the wash. On a main road averages 12,000 cpd.
With that type of traffic count I would upgrade the IBA and may consider a facelift to give the place more curb appeal. You need to take a leap of faith that customer base will grow. We purchase old tired SS/IBA locations and totally renovate them. The investment does pay off within a few years if it is a good location.

Before making a purchase you should look at where people are washing their cars today and figure out if you want to install a soft cloth or a touch free machine. Good luck, renovation projects can be fun!

Zal

Reaction score
Facelift is almost as important as the equipment. I have done 2 washes and if it is bright, shiny, and with new signage you will get new customers and old will return. Automatic equipment must be dependable. Dont try it with 40 year old rotary machines. Consider memberships on your automatic if your equipment can handle it. I have a site on a street of 12000 per day and we do about 16000 cars per year. When I bought it we did 1600 a YEAR

ShinePro

Reaction score
I purchased a site that had been half assed maintained Dec 30th 2021.
old junk D&S 5000- never changed the nozzles in 20 years.
$6-$7-$8-$9 washes
town of 3000 people

he was washing the same as you are.
i bought a used Razor 3 and put it in
Raised the prices
Washing more cars
Its making money.
Think used machine if possible
If you get it going you can always upgrade!

washnshine

Reaction score
I’m not affiliated with this site at all, and I am not recommending that you buy from them, but you can at least get an idea of what is for sale and what people are asking for various used machines.

Dylanbennett

Reaction score
$6-$7-$8-$9 washes
town of 3000 people

Raised the prices
Washing more cars
Its making money.
$6-$7-$8-$9 washes
town of 3000 people

Raised the prices
Washing more cars
Its making money.
I haven't thought much about used. How big of a project was it? Also is there things that you would buy new and replace no matter what or just set it all up and replace only what is needed

ShinePro

Reaction score
The project isnt any different than buying a new unit
I completely removed every last rusty leaky piece of the D&S unit.
put new white plastic walls in auto bay
New doors on the bay
The problem is finding a used unit and one that was removed properly.
taking some time to go thru it while on the ground.
I put all new sensors and sensor wiring in
New arch, etc etc
I got lucky due to the fact that the same crew removed the used unit and installed it at my site.
My advice is this
Check with equipment distributors in your area.
See what they got going on.
i know there are lot of places that are upgrading equipment. My equipment dealer has been really busy installing new stuff. I know of 4 new Razors and 3 used installed with in 30 miles of me in the last year. I m even considering upgrading Razors later in the year at my one site.
Might take some time but you ll find one.