What's new

Jumping into the carwash game.

NakinaNorth

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm thinking about opening up a new carwash. Any tip on the do's and don't? What's the best equipment for cold weather Canada? Would like to start with one automatic and one SS bay.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Do 2 SS bays.
Find a good distributor.
Get the best location.
Use great chems

Undertaker II

Reaction score
What part of the country are you in? I'm only asking based on expected weather conditions. Kevin

NakinaNorth

Reaction score
Do 2 SS bays.
Find a good distributor.
Get the best location.
Use great chems
Thanks for the reply. Any reason for not going with an automatic? How do you predict possible income with a SS bay? Like with an automatic you can say so many vehicles an hour. How do you compare? Also I’m assuming that there would be less maintenance with a SS? Any suggestions on great Chems? Thanks for your time.

washnshine

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Any reason for not going with an automatic? How do you predict possible income with a SS bay? Like with an automatic you can say so many vehicles an hour. How do you compare? Also I’m assuming that there would be less maintenance with a SS? Any suggestions on great Chems? Thanks for your time.
Not sure what your potential or volume could be in the location you choose, but the logic in starting with just SS always allows you to convert one SS bay to an IBA down the line - in the future, if your numbers/volume/customer base demands an IBA.
Of course if you can project that it will justify the demand from the onset, that would be best to start out with it.

AOKcarwash

Reaction score
My carwash is 15 miles south of the Regway Border crossing in Montana. I have 1 SS bay and 1 Automatic.
The original owners started with 2 SS and then turned one into an automatic which doubled their revenue. I recently upgraded to a new automatic machine and it is my money maker!
I have both bays open 24/7
year round, as long as it is zero degrees Fahrenheit or warmer.
Floor heat, good garage doors, timers on garage doors and a freeze alarm make this possible.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Not sure that 2 SS bays would even generate enough revenue to be worthwhile, especially considering the cost of new construction. If I was starting over I'd probably do double automatics. In the circumstance where you wanted to be cautious the 1/1 you mention built to convert to double automatics would be a safe bet.

We need to know a lot more, market size: population density, traffic to offer advice helpful to your specific situation.

Its usually a better ROI to find an underutilized existing property if the location is decent.

soonermajic

Reaction score
My carwash is 15 miles south of the Regway Border crossing in Montana. I have 1 SS bay and 1 Automatic.
The original owners started with 2 SS and then turned one into an automatic which doubled their revenue. I recently upgraded to a new automatic machine and it is my money maker!
I have both bays open 24/7
year round, as long as it is zero degrees Fahrenheit or warmer.
Floor heat, good garage doors, timers on garage doors and a freeze alarm make this possible.
My Aunt & Uncle have a ranch in Hamilton, Montana.

NakinaNorth

Reaction score
Not sure that 2 SS bays would even generate enough revenue to be worthwhile, especially considering the cost of new construction. If I was starting over I'd probably do double automatics. In the circumstance where you wanted to be cautious the 1/1 you mention built to convert to double automatics would be a safe bet.

We need to know a lot more, market size: population density, traffic to offer advice helpful to your specific situation.

Its usually a better ROI to find an underutilized existing property if the location is decent.
Population is around 10000 with the surrounding area. Property would be on the main drag. McDonald, Canadian Tire, Tim Hortons, Boston Pizza all close. There are two other car washes. One has two SS and one auto. Always broke down and barely open. The other has one auto and no room to expand. It’s packed all the time. I think that there is room for one more automatic and a SS in this market. Am I wrong? Thanks in advance.

Eric H

Reaction score
Population is around 10000 with the surrounding area... There are two other car washes. One has two SS and one auto. Always broke down and barely open.
Try to buy this one and renovate it. If it is a huge PIA to the current owner they will likely sell.
What is the permit process for this town? it took me 4 years to get a permit for the wash I built in 2004 and there had been a carwash there previously. The public perception of carwashes is NOT good and the run down location will reflect poorly on the concept of your new, clean, well maintained carwash. "We don't want another of these run down eye soars like that carwash on XYZ St!!!"

soonermajic

Reaction score
Try to buy this one and renovate it. If it is a huge PIA to the current owner they will likely sell.
What is the permit process for this town? it took me 4 years to get a permit for the wash I built in 2004 and there had been a carwash there previously. The public perception of carwashes is NOT good and the run down location will reflect poorly on the concept of your new, clean, well maintained carwash. "We don't want another of these run down eye soars like that carwash on XYZ St!!!"
Agree 100% !!!

Monte

Reaction score
My concern with investing/building the 3rd one in the area would definately be if someone gets their hands on the POS and breathes new life/retrofits it....like some are suggesting you should try to do. Then, a wash that isnt a threat, suddenly turns into solid competition and the 3 washes share the pie. Which doesnt seem like enough for anyone. That would be my #1 concern.

Etowah