What's new

Jim Coleman Fresh-N-Vac & Scrub-N-Vac...Are they more trouble than they're worth?

Etowah

trs246810

Reaction score
Are they so proprietary that they cost a fortune to keep going? Does anyone regret going combination? My wash is too small for all of them, but I might try installing one of the Fresh-N-Vacs. I like what Earl W. did with the fragrance lighting on his. I think I remember seeing a video link to YouTube on here awhile back.

I've never had a combination vacuum. I upgraded with 2 IVS 3 motor vacuums awhile back...happy with them. I'm thinking I would only try installing one of the Fresh-N-Vacs. I don't know why, but the Scub-N-Vac just looks like something I could end up regretting. I might be looking at things all wrong though.

limey

Reaction score
They are troublesome. I'm in Ont Canada and changed them over to just Vac. They froze up in the winter and the odd customer who used them got p....d off!

trs246810

Reaction score
I might just pick up a couple of the plain Jim Coleman SuperVac 3's. I don't think freezing would be nearly as much of an issue here though. They are all oval. I don't know if the large hinged door makes for easier clean outs/filter changes? I haven't gotten the keys to anything yet. I'm meeting to discuss price, and which units I want tomorrow.

slash007

Reaction score
I went from 6 super vacs to 8 combo vacs. Love them. Not hard to maintain and they get used. For fragrance, I use oil based and it doesn't freeze. I put winter shampoo in the cold months for those and rarely have an issue. Only issue with fragrance I've had is the solenoids get gummed up sometimes, so I take them apart and clean them and they are good to go. Usually only on the wild cherry for some reason.

trs246810

Reaction score
which combo do you prefer?...the shampoo or fragrance? I know you have both, but which do you feel is more profitable for you? I see Kleenrite has JC selector buttons, and I'm sure I can get chemicals there too. Are the timers and other electronics something exclusive to JC?

trs246810

Reaction score

They are a little rough. This car wash was shut down because the owner said vandalism and the theft got to be more than he wanted to deal with. I think I can pick them up for 100.00 each. Clearly they've had some vandalism, but they should clean up okay.

MEP001

Reaction score
They're pretty reliable but they're not easy to diagnose when there's a problem. I'd gut them and go to IDX timers and toggle switches like the Fragramatics uses. There's no reason for a vac to be any more complicated than that IMO. The original Doyle Fresh Impressions were controlled by just a rotary switch and they're almost 100% reliable.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
No real issues for me except with the B&C timers, the button on shampoo handle going bad, and dirt clogging up the shampoo lines . if those have the full length door I'd snatch them up. Put a dixmor timer in them(even coleman has gone to dixmor in their new vacs) . Wipe off the top of the vac before you add shampoo and your clogging issues will decrease 90%. Don't submerge your brush in a bucket of water to clean it. Rinse it off with a garden hose or pressure washer instead. I'd rather have these over fragramatics, mainly because I cuss every time I have to do anything to the vac motors on the latter. Changing brushes on a coleman is a piece of cake.

slash007

Reaction score
I agree with cfcw, and those don't look that bad at all. Very easy to make them look like new. I buy some parts from Coleman, a few from KR. I would throw a Dixmor timer in there if you need a replacement. I did notice that Coleman started using those in their new vacs as well. I like both, but shampoo/vac probably gets more use and at $2.50 to start, makes more $.

trs246810

Reaction score
That helps a lot...and yes, they are the full length doors. I'm meeting with the guy tomorrow...I may just pick them all up, if I can get them all for 100.00 a piece. I sure won't be installing them all, but in parts alone...will be worth it to stick them somewhere in the meantime. I would never have guessed the shampoo vac was the one more customers would use, but that looks like the consensus...from going back and looking at older threads on here.

slash007

Reaction score
They are worth way more than $100, so if you have to pay more, I wouldn't hesitate and would buy them all anyway. Like you said, parts alone are worth a lot.

trs246810

Reaction score
I wonder how much they go for from Coleman? Are the full length doors newer models? I'm guessing I'll see a date code when I'm able to get inside of them. He said he thinks he'll have the keys tomorrow. I hope so...I don't feel like cutting and drilling out perfectly good locks to get to the anchors.

I see you're in Lexington...and that is kind of funny. The two IVS vacuums I recently installed were from a closed wash not too far from you. I thought I got a pretty good deal on those around 300.00 each. These are here in TX. I took the Jim Beam tour and spent some time in Nashville, so it wasn't just a vacuum road trip.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Buy them all. Refurb and sell what you don't need. Bought used refurbs a while ago for $1750 each. Note, these are vault type so you will need the bases or have to buy vault bases.

Few maintenance issues with the combos. For the price, after you see cost to get them working you may go all combos. I start antifreeze shampoo Oct 1. Add 1 Gallon them another on Nov. 1, and Dec. 1 top it off. Use AF shampoo thru March so no freeze issue. Since I use concentrate water based fragrance I switch to using washer fluid instead of water for dilution beginning 10/1.

Very few issues. Had some 20+ years. B&C will rebuild most gens of timers but you can go thru Dixmor as well. I like the Coleman AF Hose and have used it for other makes because I find it hardier and cost about the same.
i don't think there are any proprietary parts. Out of 30 vacks at 4 locations about 12 are Coleman Combos. wish i had the finances to change them all - with Bill acceptors. SNV generate more money but mostly because the Shampoo is $3.00 and Fragrance is $1.00.

slash007

Reaction score
They are now over 6k each without bill acceptors. Which wash did you buy the IVS vacs from?

trs246810

Reaction score
It was a really small town about 45 mins from Lexington where I picked them up. I can't think of the name right now. They had been in storage for several years. The guy I bought them from said a wash went in...and closed after 1 year. It was all Magic Wand stuff. The guy with them had them in his storage....and had his own older SS wash...and storage business with his family. I dare say most of the people I came across in KY seemed nicer than here. He had bought them for his car wash, but had excess equipment. I guess it's similar to what I might end up with today on these Jim Coleman vacs...a lot of extra equipment. So, don't be surprised if you see some turn up on eBay at some point.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you re furb them, contact me before you put them on e-bay. Not excited about making / setting vacs with vaults, but fo the right price!

trs246810

Reaction score
I'll definitely let you know. I ended up being able to purchase three of them. I might be able to purchase more when he's ready, but that was all he wanted to part with for now. I think he has someone he's waiting on with more money on the others. I got one Scrub-N-Vac and one Fresh-N-Vac removed tonight. I can get the third vac in the morning. I don't know if I should get another one of the Fresh...or Scrub??? It's my choice...and I guess I'd better make up my mind soon. I plugged the Scrub-N-Vac I got in really quick before I loaded it...and there was just a constant beeping sound. I haven't even unloaded them yet, or checked them out at all yet. Those are some heavy vacuums!

trs246810

Reaction score
well...constant tone being played on the buzzer...nothing on the display, but I only left it plugged in for a few seconds