What's new

J E Adams vac break in

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
Someone broke into the coin box on one of my JE Adams vacs last week. This vac had the optional security cover and the lock bar installed. I don't want to post too much detail but the thief made a very precise cut to open the box and then put everything back together when he was done. I did not realize it had been broken into until I went to empty the coin box.

Anybody else has a similar breakin?

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
I have three Adams supervacs and one Fragramatics Quadra. I added the security covers and lock bar to the Adams vacs after I had a break in a couple of years ago. Now I have had a break in even when the optional security cover.

No one has tried to break into my Fragramatics unit. I think the Fragramatics unit is a great design as far as security goes. There are very few places to stick a pry bar and the coin box is completely hidden from view. Of course, the Fragramatics unit cost quite a bit more than the Adams vac.

Randy

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. The J.E Adams vac’s have always been easy. It has gotten so bad here that a number of car washes have gone total token only or credit card only, No quarters or bill acceptors in the bays, vac's or vending. We pick up the coins from everything every day. Some of the car washes have been required by the cities to close at night and gate off the property from 10 pm to 6 am.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I took off the security bar after too much damage after a break in. Took off adams .25 lock and put on a medeco--not great--Just can't be picked with a wet noodle. I figured the few times anyone would want to break in -very little damage would occur. I am converting all my vacs over to IDX acceptors(Quarters and Tokens) which is awesome compared to those mechanical nightmares. We are only dispensing tokens to ward off those problems. They can bring in their own quarters, but my vacs are now 60% $1 tokens -Not as thrilling to steal. I think some high security $1 coins is the way to go in a rough economy.

denduke

Reaction score
Went to Tokens

We have had NO burglaries on our Vacs since we changed over to 100% tokens a few years ago. This also constantly deters "walk-ons" who used to come in for change only. Absolutely one of the best moves that we have ever done.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Duke and Randy--I can't agree more . You would think i sell tokens, but the smartest thing i've done at the wash is convert to $1 High security tokens. The customers love it and the desperados don't want tokens, every carwash that tries them will not be sorry. Also the electronic acceptors have eliminated all the jams i had from canadian coins and pesos, and electrical cutouts.
I now have( no double lock on vacs) now as security is no big deal. Also the customers love starting a vac with one coin( They think its cheaper!!!!)
If you have those expensive $5K combos--Protect them with tokens.

Randy

Reaction score
Don’t think that going to Tokens is going to solve all your security problems. About 2 months ago I converted a car wash over to Tokens only, no quarters accepted in any of the equipment. This last weekend I got a call that they had broken into every piece of equipment, venders, vac’s, coin boxes and stole all the Tokens. They even went after the changer, damaging it to almost beyond repair. They have great video, too bad they wore hoodies and had the license plate covered on the vehicle.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
The boys must love the wash in order to want all those tokens, or be extremely stupid. I had a couple of guys try breaking into changer a couple of years ago. Both had hoodies and a scarf on-- Brought the video to every business within a mile that would take a look and a gal at the convenience store recognized them. It may not work, but worth a try, also post a couple of your best pictures with a reward.