What's new

I've created a monster

easywash

Reaction score
I have a 3 Bay Automatic (but this is more of a self sever type question) and I thought it would be cool to put a pressurized tank in the base of my tellers with tire cleaner in it for my customers to use. I go from the 5 gallon tank through a bulkhead and out to a blue coiled hose with a standard air gun and spray tip.

Here is the problem... my customers love the product so much they empty each canister at least twice a day and its becoming a real pain. I have tried reducing the flow but I just cant get it down to a reasonable flow rate.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to hard plumb the sprayers from my equipment room.

So my thought was if I could get the product to foam they would use less of it and maybe I would be filling the tanks once a day which is more reasonable.

My supplier has told me that the cleaner will foam but no matter what I do I can't get it too...

Any ideas? Special Tips? Different Sprayers? More Pressure? Less Pressure... any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
If you are using a pressurized tank, I don't think that you will have much luck. The reason it will foam so well in the bay is because you are mixing in both product and air. With a tank you are just compressing whatever air is in the tank to increase flow rate of just product.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Catalogs offer Nozzles that make product foam with a venturi effect. These are usualy for tunnel Apps. Not sure how they would hold up with SS customers and they are not cheap.

DavidM

Reaction score
The foaming nozzle that Earl mentioned was my first thought as well.

What type of spray gun are you using? We use the plastic "Trigger Jet" guns with an adjustable nozzle. If you set the nozzle at a mist it uses a lot less product. With customers using the nozzle you could try using some glue to prevent the tip from being adjusted. I would think you should be able to get 5 gallons to last more than a day using just a mist.

If the gun you are using has replaceable tips try to find a smaller one.

David

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is why you need to carefully consider adding extras on to your touchfree/soft touch options!!!

Why not sell a bad a$$ wheel cleaner in a small pump bottle in a vendor and turn the situation into more of a money maker? If you advertised it right, you'd be fine I think.

I'd rather do things like a free towel dry station (thanks, Soapy) at the exit end. Sure, customers steal the towels, but I've gotten more positive feedback than I ever dreamed of and customers use it like crazy!

Once you start a freebie or extra, it's hard to stop! And if you do, customers may feel short-changed as a result. It's a slippery slope.

As an aside; if you can use those pressurized soda kegs as sprayers, maybe you could use the larger beer kegs for the same. Why couldn't you tie a couple together and draw from both? Maybe worth exploring?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
In their original express carts Blue Coral used a small air compressor that ran on 120v. I recently bought a small air compressor at Costco that has a small tank and automatically keeps the tank full. It might fit where you have the 5 gallon tank right now. It's hard to take away something once customers get used to it.

soapy

Reaction score
I use a small 30 gallon bucket with small wheel wizard brushes out in front of all my automatics. I mix it up with a little wheel cleaner and lots of water. Customers can use the solution to do their tires and glass while waiting for the bay to become empty. This amount will generally last 2 or 3 days and is not a hassle to keep filled.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
how would you handle freezing temps? just curious.

easywash

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input

Thanks for all the input!

I am using what the supplier calls a Blow Gun w/ 1/4 Vapour Sprayer:

http://www.new-line.com/PDFs/IH2007...ings Catalogue/W - Service Station & Shop.pdf

it on the right side on page 3 mid way down.

Previous to these sprayers we did use the plastic "Trigger Jets" and yes we glued the nozzles. The flow rate was definitely better but I was finding that the nozzles were continually leaking product. That's why I switched.

Waxman... TRUST ME I now somewhat regret adding the product the way it is currently configured but if I can just get a formulation that foams I don't think this should be a problem to maintain and the customers love it and the cost when done right should be minimal.

Earl, I've heard of the nozzles you mention I've just had a heck of a time locating some in stock. Any Ideas? My distributor says he's back ordered from two different suppliers.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I'm with Waxman...

I too have considered little things like what you're doing, but most of the time I come up with valid reasons not to do it, most by asking other people in the industry (like here) as to cons in starting something, especially if it's free.

DavidM

Reaction score
Kleen-Rite shows those spray nozzles in plastic, brass and stainless with various orifice sizes. I don't know if they have them in stock though.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I have 15 gallon plastic drums at my ACWs with half of the top cut away and a nice looking label that says:BUG BRUSH (for auto bay customer only, use only on wheels, whindshield, bumper and grill). There are very few abuses of this and my customers really like that they can soften the bugs so the IBA will remove them better. Oh yeah, I have a hogs hair foamy brush in the bucket.

I fill it about half full of water and foamy brush soap so that it's too heavy for them to drag it around their car scrubbing the whole car.

It's a little extra work but a decent way for me to add value. I asked my dist to give me a bargain on some foamy brush soap that's old or that he couldn't sell - I got a bucket of blue that someone ordered and didn't pick up. Five gallons lasts me about 6 months.

soapy

Reaction score
I use a little methenol in the winter to keep my bucket and brush from freezing. I used to have the nice wide brushes with hogs hair in my buckets but too many people would do the whole car. With the small wheel wizard brush they don't try to do the whole car just the wheels and windsheilds. Speeds up the lines.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I use a little methenol in the winter to keep my bucket and brush from freezing. I used to have the nice wide brushes with hogs hair in my buckets but too many people would do the whole car. With the small wheel wizard brush they don't try to do the whole car just the wheels and windsheilds. Speeds up the lines.

I really haven't had too much problem in this small town with people washing their whole car with my Bug Brush. I have a windmaster sign beside the bucket that asks them not to use on mud, don't wash the whole car, and don't keep the next guy waiting. The combination of my reputation for being grumpy towards abusers, and this not-so-incidental addition to my website doesn't hurt, either. :) http://www.redbaroncarwash.com/about.htm (Spur Karate button).

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I use trigger hand sprayers. It's not as fancy, but I believe it makes the customer more aware of the amount of product they are applying.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
This is why you need to carefully consider adding extras on to your touchfree/soft touch options!!!

Why not sell a bad a$$ wheel cleaner in a small pump bottle in a vendor and turn the situation into more of a money maker? If you advertised it right, you'd be fine I think.

I'd rather do things like a free towel dry station (thanks, Soapy) at the exit end. Sure, customers steal the towels, but I've gotten more positive feedback than I ever dreamed of and customers use it like crazy!

Once you start a freebie or extra, it's hard to stop! And if you do, customers may feel short-changed as a result. It's a slippery slope.

As an aside; if you can use those pressurized soda kegs as sprayers, maybe you could use the larger beer kegs for the same. Why couldn't you tie a couple together and draw from both? Maybe worth exploring?
Tell me more about your free towel dry station. Do you offer it all year around?

Allenz

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Thanks for sharing the experiences and links.... :)

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes I offer the towel dry station year round. It has its challenges; precipitation, laundering the towels and theft of towels.

I have made a commitment to it and will continue. It is something that has caught on and many customers use it.

It sets me apart from my competitors! It creates customer loyalty. It gives poor folks free towels (haha)!!:D