What's new

Its been a bad at the car wash!!!!!!

MEP001

Reaction score
When you hover over the thumbnails you'll see an "IMG code" button. Clicking that copies the link, then you just paste it into your post:

phillipsummers

Reaction score
I forgot to mention there is hole as big in the bottom of the pump as well. I might need a lot of JB Weld.

JeffM

The Canadian
Reaction score
Ouch! I've seen it happen before, thankfully these are usually like tanks, with the odd hiccup.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How long has the pump been in service?

How many washes on it?

Do you do regular oil changes?

What caused it? Freeze up, etc.?

Was there any collateral damage to motor, pulleys,, unloader, etc.?

phillipsummers

Reaction score
Not sure how long it has been service or how many wash's are on this unit I have been maintance for 4 hrs. The previous guy said it had been replaced once before unsure when. He was an older guy that develpoed alltimers.

Yes I do regular oil changes.

The first connecting rod as your looking at the pump broke and I thinking the parts got wedge and forced the case to break.

Unsure about other damage. I was so mad and it takes a week to get a pump. I went drinking instead Ill worry about it on Monday.

Iam not sure what the owner is going to do. The orignal automatic was built in 1989. might be time for an upgrade.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
What I find odd is that the rod throw on the crankshaft is not damaged. Most of the time a pump or an engine throws a rod it is because of low oil and the rod welds itself to the crankshaft. Then it either siezes when shut down or snaps while running which causes "massive oil pan and crankcase failure". I'd like to see the rest of the parts. Maybe a rod bolt broke?

I can put you in touch with someone that has some used pumps.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Check with Eagle Express Wash Systems in New Albany, IN. 1-800-457-4507, ask for Steve Cox. They are a Mark VII dist. and have scrapped out some old machines. I think about all they save are the pumps and computers.

phillipsummers

Reaction score
Check with Eagle Express Wash Systems in New Albany, IN. 1-800-457-4507, ask for Steve Cox. They are a Mark VII dist. and have scrapped out some old machines. I think about all they save are the pumps and computers.
Thanks I will contact them Monday morning. Iam going to tear into Monday too and see if I can find WHAT caused the failure. I will take some pic of the parts that I get out and post them for you to look at.

toddmullens

Reaction score
The thing that gets me is there was no warning signs of impending doom. No noise no anything.
Been in this situation before as well and its not fun. Consider yourself lucky that the pump is the only thing that broke. I had one that threw a rod and the pump body broke right at the head and literally destroyed the water wizard pump stand. It was a nightmare! I feel for you. Good Luck

gearhead

Reaction score
cat blender

Looks like a top end failure. Piston or top of the conecting rod. As said in an earlier post there isnt any signs of the bottom end being compromised. Is the piston siezed in the bore or did it come apart? Ive seen lower ends(of racing engines) come apart and alot of times the upper part of the rod is somewhat intact. Doesnt take but a few seconds to cause catastrophic damage when one end or the other comes loose. Doubt you would ever get any warning with this kind of failure. Sorry, bad pun not intended.