What's new

Istobal Washes? Who owns one? FLEX5??

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
The machine when it sits on the tracks is 12'-4" tall. It ships with its "feet" off so you should have a ceiling height 6 to 8" taller to put it together.
Any known compromises with the extended height units on smaller vehicles? I'm assuming they just bolt on an additional lower unit and install longer brushes, but that is speculation.

How much more does the extended height unit cost than a standard flex five? I know a guy that has two washes with 14' ceilings who is looking to reload one..

It would be neat if there was an easy way to upcharge extended height vehicles-maybe get an extra $4 or so. Some of those vans I see are massive, and are almost exclusively driven by a 5'4" supermom.

mac

Reaction score
Ok here are some answers. The standard 32’ tracks will wash anything up to 23’. You can add track if needed. The tall Flex5 will wash a small car just as well as any other. Only limit on the tall one is it can’t have onboard dryers. You can pull in a Smart car at a large angle and it gets all surfaces just dandy.

Carwash_Guru

Reaction score
Mac, why can’t the extended height have a dryer? If it can have a H-beam, it should be able to have a dryer.

mac

Reaction score
Mac, why can’t the extended height have a dryer? If it can have a H-beam, it should be able to have a dryer.
There are many things beyond my control and this is one of them. I’m sure they could do it but I was told it had something to do with the side blowers and their height. I was planning on a free standing one for this anyway.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Well, its official. My flex five unit is installed, the block we had to tear out and rebuild has dried and I'm doing a little tinkering with wash programs. I'm stuck between doing things differently in the name of speed or sticking to my idea of the way a wash package "should be" (starting with a pass of presoak, etc. ) and it is causing a little last minute analysis paralysis. I'm also made a few minor nozzle tweaks. The unit as set up from the factory is a bit stingy with SFR. I've gotten some bigger nozzles and also some 45 degree street ells to point the side SFR nozzle forward and to hopefully rinse mirror housings better. Tech support at Istobal has been good and the tech support guys have been quick to respond and answered all my stupid questions. A few more test washes and I hope to open sometime tomorrow. I'll try and shoot some pics.

TravisW

Reaction score
Well, its official. My flex five unit is installed, the block we had to tear out and rebuild has dried and I'm doing a little tinkering with wash programs. I'm stuck between doing things differently in the name of speed or sticking to my idea of the way a wash package "should be" (starting with a pass of presoak, etc. ) and it is causing a little last minute analysis paralysis. I'm also made a few minor nozzle tweaks. The unit as set up from the factory is a bit stingy with SFR. I've gotten some bigger nozzles and also some 45 degree street ells to point the side SFR nozzle forward and to hopefully rinse mirror housings better. Tech support at Istobal has been good and the tech support guys have been quick to respond and answered all my stupid questions. A few more test washes and I hope to open sometime tomorrow. I'll try and shoot some pics.
I'll be monitoring from Bristol. I'll have my phone on me all day.

WashSingh

Reaction score
You da man Travis!

By the way I should add it was the service and support guys (Scott and Travis), that sold me on the unit.

Indeed! Scott/Robby/Travis - very knowledgeable and always accessible. They were fundamental for my Flex 5 purchase as well. Congrats Greg - looking forward to seeing your pictures and hearing about your packages!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Its been unbelievably slow since we got the new unit installed. However, with the right chemical the wheel spinners in combination with the cloth contact are doing a pretty good job. This vehicle hasn't been washed in months and it got most of the stuff. If the customer came through on a regular basis those wheels would be looking great after a few washes. I changed the stock tire cleaner nozzles out for a 80 degree fan for better coverage. I think I’m going to try some 110s
14F26A49-4D6C-43B6-939B-C0F68F7DE237.jpeg C5BC9FDC-AC51-443D-A83F-00A6ADB5CBB6.jpeg

Last edited:

washnshine

Reaction score
That’s good for one wash- that wheel was really bad. What chemical are you using for wheels and tires?

WikiWash

Reaction score
Hey everybody!!
Does anyone know the height clearance on a Flex 5 combo unit?

thanks!

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Minimum requirements would be 14' wide and 11' high.

JustClean

Reaction score
Hey guys, I would be very careful with the strength of your chemicals on your galvanized machines.
My installer hooked up my ENTIRE machine on spot free rinse. I only found out years later when the rust was eating everything away.
Since that was changed it has been better. All the best Greg with your new machine. Cheers Justclean :)

OurTown

Reaction score
These machines aren't stainless?