What's new

Is working at a car wash PT a good idea?

johnnygt

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been doing a lot of research and I'm interested in possible finding a older Car Wash (Self self) to buy and fix up. Something I keep seeing in this forum is people recommending to go work at a car wash part time to get a better understanding how it works, which does make sense. So I have a few questions and would love everyone input:

• Have you worked at a car wash prior to owing one?
  • Was it helpful?
  • Should I be upfront and tell them why I want to work PT?
  • If I do this, what should I be trying to learn and ask?

There is a 3 bay, 1 auto and one tunnel wash right down the street from me I might go see if they need help on the weekends.

I appreciate everyone input!

-John

washnshine

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been doing a lot of research and I'm interested in possible finding a older Car Wash (Self self) to buy and fix up. Something I keep seeing in this forum is people recommending to go work at a car wash part time to get a better understanding how it works, which does make sense. So I have a few questions and would love everyone input:

• Have you worked at a car wash prior to owing one?
  • Was it helpful?
  • Should I be upfront and tell them why I want to work PT?
  • If I do this, what should I be trying to learn and ask?

There is a 3 bay, 1 auto and one tunnel wash right down the street from me I might go see if they need help on the weekends.

I appreciate everyone input!

-John
Answers to questions #1-3:

Yes, yes and yes.

Answer to question #4

Everything, but maintenance skills will be huge if you own your own down the road. People skills and managerial skills are essential too - not sure of your prior experience with either, but you can get education on both with a job like this. Volunteer to do things you might not be paid to do that might be “off the clock”. You never know, whatever Wash you work a now might be one you have the opportunity to own in the future.

You might be hired to prep cars or clean bays and empty trash, but make it known that you want to learn more than that.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I started in this business as an attendant working for my cousin in 1982. I'm very mechanically inclined, and after looking around for a few minutes I had a pretty good idea of how things worked. My first "repair" was after a couple weeks, I noticed the tire cleaner wasn't working, then I found the Lovejoy coupling had broken, so I wrapped a whole roll of electrical tape around it and put it back into service. It held for a few days until the service guy could replace it.

traveler17

Reaction score
I didn’t work PT at one but found an owner willing to spend a few weeks watching and learning the ins and outs. If you have an opportunity to be in and around highly recommended!! Good luck

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes I worked for a company called Golden nozzle before opening my own car wash in 2006. my boss was Mike Forgotch. Mike taught me how to manage the in Bay automatic segment of the car wash business.

I don't think you necessarily need to let them know that you're planning to start your own business but I did because I was going to be in an area where they did not have a competing car wash.

when I got this part-time job I was also operating my detailing business full-time.

I would be very eager as an employee, doing whatever is asked of you and more. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

sparkey

Reaction score
I never worked at or was ever even in a carwash until the day I bought one. I find carwash equipment to be very simple to work on. I have an industrial maintenance and controls background so I find the carwash to be the simplest stuff I have ever worked on.

Etowah