What's new

Is this a little confusing or am I just not too bright.

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
Pat, I agree that the original version that had the column (on far left) with the prices for the individual services was definitely confusing. BUT I fully appreciate the intent. Namely, to quantify value for all those individual services --- to give the customer a handle on just how "great a dealio" (in $$$ and ???) he was getting with the higher tiered services.

I mitigated that "confusion" by leading (big 'n bold) with the actual costs of the 3 tiers; reducing the size of those individual prices/services and tucking 'em away a bit off to the side. The confusion over that column could be lessened more by, perhaps, adding the word "VALUE" over that column. Or, if one is really concerned about befuddling some customers --- simply remove those "Value/Prices" altogether ... as seen in this version.

JJJ/SSCWN

Attachments

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
... and just to better grasp the possible the, uh, value in tacking on a "Value" column, here's another graphic.

BTW, I'm "in to" this particular thread cuz I just coincidentally happen to be doing a mini-chapter on signage for my in the works "Marketing" article.

JJJ/SSCWN

Attachments

Red Baron

Reaction score
Earl, it's a dramatic improvement over the one the author of the thread sent, but still something seems unbalanced. I think there should be something to make the columns all the same height...maybe just draw a box around it. I also think it's important that all your IBA menu boards looks the same. I've seen IBA where a free-standing menu board looked different than the one on the ACW, and the one above the bay entrance looked different than both.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
JJJ, that's sign is still a mess, you just rearranged the pieces. So if I want the "Gold" I pay $11.50. Then I add $3 for RX? Another $3 for Tire shine? Another $2 if I want rust inhibiter? My head hurts...I need a calculator :confused:

You can put perfume on a turd, but it's still gonna be a turd.
Well, If you don't get it, then you don't get it. Some of the Matrix layouts use a check mark to show what's included. This uses a smiley face. The seperate prices are a la carte.

Now, Pat, how about some constructive ideas. How would you do it?

easywash

Reaction score
The Tweaked Matrix

Get rid of all the prices on the far right side.... way too confusing..

I understand you are trying to show the value of each one but the fact that your Gold wash already has MORE happy faces does that just fine.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Like a moth to a flame, I couldn't resist ...

The sign that "confused" Bill, is, of course, breathtakingly Obominable.

The one the Earl proposed, IMHO, is going very much in the right direction. But here's a tweak that nudges closer to the way I think it could/should go.

I realize that there is a credible school of thought that says, "put your highest priced wash" first --- to the far left in this case. But there's something to be said about presenting an easily grasped progression of value too. Anyhoo ...

Whatcha think of this tweak, Earl?

JJJ/SSCWN
FWIW this is for an EE Tunnel.
The individual items are priced seperately so they can be purchased seperately. And as you buy a couple of a la carte items it makes sense to upgrade to a package.

Now, as you note there are a couple of schools of thought.

One is that we read left to right and you put the lower priced item to the left so the customer "Sells themselves up" as their eyes move to the right. This system is evident in appliance stores where the smaller, lower price TVs are typicaly on the right and tey get larger ad more expenive as your eyes move to the right.
The other school of hought is that people stop reading after the first item, so put your highes item first, particularly if you are bringing them in with a bargain wash.

I am sure there are many factrs at play such as the wash purchase being a 30 second or less desion process, and the bigger ticlet items involving a longer thought process.

I am not smart enough to know which theory is better for this situation.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Earl, I didn't realize that was actually your sign or maybe I would have been nicer. Then again, maybe I wouldn't have been, we'll never know. I thought it was an IBA sign. Since it is for a tunnel, I think I would have an a la carte section or a separate board completely for it. Definitely lose the prices down the side, way too confusing. I'm not sure I like that type of format at all. I like words to read, but I'm not sure how many customers feel the way I do.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I think customers are looking for values and not necessarily saving money. I agree. I would eliminate the pricing and probably not even bother with an ala carte menu.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Earl, I didn't realize that was actually your sign or maybe I would have been nicer. Then again, maybe I wouldn't have been, we'll never know. I thought it was an IBA sign. Since it is for a tunnel, I think I would have an a la carte section or a separate board completely for it. Definitely lose the prices down the side, way too confusing. I'm not sure I like that type of format at all. I like words to read, but I'm not sure how many customers feel the way I do.
I didn't want nice, I wanted honest feed back. (Although I was hoping for constructive feedback :)That is why I did not mention it was mine. I had seperate signs for the packages and then felt I had too many signs

In fact this is the cleaned up version. The prior version also offered Ran X or tire shine for $2.00 Xtra with Superwash.

Perhaps I am looking for a black cat in a dark room. I know some theories are no more A al carte pricing. But seasonaly I still get a lot of people who just want sealer wax or just want Chassis Bath, or just want tre shine.

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
Yikes, so those actually were ala carte services and ala carte prices! The thing is, a litany of ala carte items/prices is not really a good fit in Exterior Express. All that reading, pondering, questioning, choosing can take the "EXPRESS" outta the equation. I believe most customers hate (okay, really dislike) working their way thru an ala carte menu ... be it carwashes or restaurants.

On the other hand, I love matrix menus ... especially the less is more variety. That's the beauty of Earl's menu. Even at just a glance and with marginal reading abilities, customers can grasp the 3 simple, straight forward choices. And it's perceived (almost instantly) that the mid-grade wash gives the customer 5 times as much "stuff" for only about twice as much cost as the basic wash. And the top tier wash delivers a whopping 9 times as many goodies/bennies/services as the cheapo tier.

Again, having customers get a handle on most all that at a glance at an Exterior EXPRESS sings the sweet song of "ThruPut".

Yet again I say --- Earl's sign was basically a good concept, just a tweak or two away from being great.

JJJ/SSCWN

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
i want to know what the free gift is, do i have to buy a wash, or will you tell me?
We have seperate signage which advertises the free gift with the top package. It varies, but consists of a free air freshener Custom Fresheners with our info on it. Free lotto ticket when jackpots go over $100 million. (Met one guy who uses instant tickets which have a larger percentage of winners. Creates a good Buzz.

Have also offered a free cold soft drink on hot days. In the winter, salty weather A gallon of Windshield Washer fluid is a big hit.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
All that reading, pondering, questioning, choosing can take the "EXPRESS" outta the equation. I believe most customers hate (okay, really dislike) working their way thru an ala carte menu ... be it carwashes or restaurants.

On the other hand, I love matrix menus ... especially the less is more variety. That's the beauty of Earl's menu. Even at just a glance and with marginal reading abilities, customers can grasp the 3 simple, straight forward choices. And it's perceived (almost instantly) that the mid-grade wash gives the customer 5 times as much "stuff" for only about twice as much cost as the basic wash. And the top tier wash delivers a whopping 9 times as many goodies/bennies/services as the cheapo tier.

Again, having customers get a handle on most all that at a glance at an Exterior EXPRESS sings the sweet song of "ThruPut".

JJJ/SSCWN
Since we have a lot of repeat business, I would have to say thru put is not a problem. Have seen or heard of a few that do better than us, but not many.
1980's , Walt Tack who later became ICA Pres. cam etoi the Chicagoland association as a speaker & Introduced us to the concept of Menu and package pricing. The idea was load up the package with a la carte items to make the value self evident.

Later, he came again and touted the package only concept.

here is the issue. Sealer wax is a big a la carte seller. Same applies to chassis bath and Rust inhibitor in winter. Do I **** those peole off by saying they can no longer spend $1.00 or $2.00 and get those items.

If they are going to spend $3.00 more for a couple of items it's easier to sell them up to the Super for $4.00 more.

Similarly if they want a Suoer plus tire Shine it's easier to sell them to the next level for $1.00 more.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
On the other hand, I love matrix menus ... especially the less is more variety. JJJ/SSCWN
I think in the next incarnation the third column can go away. The basic wash price is listed, and advertised prominently on other isgnage.

what do you think?