What's new

Is this a little confusing or am I just not too bright.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Bill, maybe a little of both. lol Naa, the sign is really confusing. Sheesh, round off those prices! It looks like it was laid out by someone whose intent was to not be bothered with people washing their car.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Can't help but wonder if this was simply giving the "Number code" for a pay at th pump feature, with another explanation as to what was included in each package posted elsewhere. Still, a graduating price scale would seem more logical.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Terrible menu sign. I have seen worse but this is right up there.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I didn't find it confusing, but I do agree that it is a terrible sign. I also wonder about people that use words and phrases like "Complete" and "The Works" and they are not on the best wash. Don't both of those mean "That's all I got"??? :confused:

steve01

Reaction score
Looks to me like another gas station/car wash owner who doesn't read this forum. I wouldn't use a sign that doesn't tell the customer what "the Works" or "the Special" entails, and too many options confuses people anyway. Probably sounded good over a couple of drinks!

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
My guess would be that the management of the carwash/gas station is foriegn born. It suggests someone who does not have a good grasp of the english language.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I was in a hurry and didn't have time to check the place out, but the gas was 20 cents cheaper than all other stations around and 10 cents lower than all of Seattle. They were selling gas, and they had an attendant and the wash was wet.

dtkc64015

A fulltime hobby
Reaction score
I like that sign better than the one at the gas station by my wash. It says "free wash with a $20 gas purchase". Its hard to compete with free.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That sign is very poor marketing of the carwash and should be changed to something more customer friendly and common-sense.

briteauto

Reaction score
There are many unusual/impractical things about the sign, but one thing that stands out is the way the prices gradually increase, until the last one. Does the last one offer less than the previous more expensive packages, or is it a savings for getting "the ultimate?"

I have never seen that many packages - even for a place that is full serve.

steve01

Reaction score
I think it's a great sign - for driving customers away FROM them and TO legitimate operators. Embrace those people! As far as gas stations giving away a wash with $20 worth of gas - all they accomplished was giving away the station's highest profit margin item for customers purchasing the station's lowest profit margin item. Net: ZERO. Great business plan!

pitzerwm

Reaction score
dtkc, IMO the guy giving away a car wash for $20 of gas is a moron. $20 = 7 gals of gas, which he may gross .08 = .54. Even a crap wash cost more than that to run a cycle. If they filled up 18 gals = gross of 1.44.

I did get a free wash at Jiffy lube once, last time I ever went back, that was an old nylon machine with no soap, one pass.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The sign has a matrix thing going on and is too confusing for most customers.

I had a lady today who was flabbergasted when I told her the autocashier takes credit cards and has taken them since I put the wash in a few years back. She's been coming since I opened. There's a big Visa, M/C, Amex sticker and wording about the cc slot near the cc slot. I'm not saying she's learning disabled or dumb. Just saying sometimes the things we as operators think is obvious as the dickens isn't so to customers!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
What is really funny? The person who is responsible for this believes it is one of the best menus in the business.
Are you referring to the matrix thing in general or this sign in particular?

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
Like a moth to a flame, I couldn't resist ...

The sign that "confused" Bill, is, of course, breathtakingly Obominable.

The one the Earl proposed, IMHO, is going very much in the right direction. But here's a tweak that nudges closer to the way I think it could/should go.

I realize that there is a credible school of thought that says, "put your highest priced wash" first --- to the far left in this case. But there's something to be said about presenting an easily grasped progression of value too. Anyhoo ...

Whatcha think of this tweak, Earl?

JJJ/SSCWN

Attachments

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
JJJ, that's sign is still a mess, you just rearranged the pieces. So if I want the "Gold" I pay $11.50. Then I add $3 for RX? Another $3 for Tire shine? Another $2 if I want rust inhibiter? My head hurts...I need a calculator :confused:

You can put perfume on a turd, but it's still gonna be a turd.