What's new

Is this a decent piece of equipment?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have several projects on my "to-do" list for the near future which involve swapping out SS bay boxes and one ACW. All are mounted in brick and will require some demolition. In the past I have rented a small demolition hammer/chipper or whatever you call it. I think I just want to buy one so I can work at my own pace and not feel I am racing the clock and wasting a lot of money in rent. Is this piece adequate for what I want to do or will I regret buying it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dewalt-1-3-4-Sp...ryZ63919QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

MEP001

Reaction score
I doubt you'll regret buying it, but this is likely all you'd need:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...Id=10053&productId=100609279&N=10000003+90401

I have a Porter Cable of similar size that has gotten a lot of heavy use, and it still works like new. I think I paid $189 for it. I do have some work I'll need to do involving a concrete cutting saw and I've figured that it would be cheaper to buy a saw rather than renting one for all the jobs I'll be doing, so I know where you're coming from.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Maybe this is a silly question and may depend on if the hole you will need is the same size or smaller than the one you will have once the old box is out. I would think a masonry Saw would make a much neater job then a demo hammer and save time for the new install and finish work.

Reaction score
Maybe this is a silly question and may depend on if the hole you will need is the same size or smaller than the one you will have once the old box is out. I would think a masonry Saw would make a much neater job then a demo hammer and save time for the new install and finish work.
I agree, I have done a lot of concrete cutting ( even installing a bill breaker) just by throwing a masonry blade on my 4'' grinder . Wouldn't work on solid walls but on block wall as far as depth.but its you can use it to score a nice square or whatever shape is needed before using the rotary hammer so it comes out nice and pretty.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...+530614+90401&marketID=90401&locStoreNum=8125

soapy

Reaction score
I have a diamond masonary saw blade for my circular saw that does a good job of making clean cuts. Not sure if it would work for what you are doing but it works great on concrete and block.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My first project is removing this ACW to install an HTK

As you can see, most of the work will be brick and mortar demolition. I also have a right angle grinder to to "dress up" work. That grinder is the handiest tool I have and lives in the truck with me.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
IB-Pat,

I agree with Earl & NewHamp & your right angle grinder. Do you use a diamond cutting wheel on the grinder? It seems that is better than a masonry wheel. It is surprising what a little muscle, good quality hand chisels & that diamond cutting wheel will do. Shop around, those diamond wheels are less expensive than they used to be.

We are on our second 3/4 inch rotary hammer drill & they both had that hammer only mode with a chisel but we still get our weight into the hand chisels. Wearing leather gloves & a face shield is a good idea when you are going at it with a frenzy.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
I have a heavy duty demo drill and rotary hammer that you can use a point or chisel in and you can use it for free if you want. "NO RENTAL" Let me know and we will get it to you some way,,,,,,you can work at your own pace.

Bob

mac

Reaction score
Another option when redoing things in block or concrete, is to check with some local demo companies. There is a diamond tipped chain saw that is ideal for this. Looks like a regular chain saw, but it cuts through the hard stuff without overcuts that you sometimes get with a circular saw. It may be pricey to have them come out and cut it, but it will be done in an hour and make the installation of the new boxes much easier. You don't get the satisfaction of buying a new tool this way, but if time counts, it's hard to beat.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have a heavy duty demo drill and rotary hammer that you can use a point or chisel in and you can use it for free if you want. "NO RENTAL" Let me know and we will get it to you some way,,,,,,you can work at your own pace.

Bob
Thanks for the offer Bob, but I bought this one Monday

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120416072015&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

It looked like a bargain at $100 less than the first one so I went ahead and pounced on it.

Randy

Reaction score
I know you Pat, you bought it just for the Dewalt Racing Sticker.