What's new

Is There A Problem Pouring Concrete Over Existing Bay Slab

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I am considering closing in one of may bays at my older wash and do not want the dramatic slope that goes to the pit. I was thinking I could fill the pit in with gravel and pour a few inches of concrete over the existing bay concrete. Is there a problem in doing this?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Several operators in my universe have overpoured their bays to install new floor heat tubing.

With good planning, it can save thousands of dollars in demolition and hauling expense.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Several operators in my universe have overpoured their bays to install new floor heat tubing.

With good planning, it can save thousands of dollars in demolition and hauling expense.
I did exactly that at one of my washes 20 years ago. It is still going strong and looking good.

chewy007

Reaction score
Pouring Concrete over existing slab

I have done this in several of our carwash locations to install new floor heat tubing and to create a flatter surface. Use a strong concrete mix 7 bag (5000psi) concrete with fiber mesh in the mix, especially if only pouring 2-3 inches. In the pit make sure to compact your rock in lifts and use a clean crushed stone with no lime.

Good luck

Quinque

Reaction score
I did this overlay of about 5 inches of concrete in a 5 bay self serve in early 1980's in order to add tubing for floor heat. It is still working OK, but the problem I had was the vehicle rubbing the concrete as it would leave. I had to build up the exit area to remedy this situation.
I know of one other carwash that had the same issue.
Roger

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I am considering closing in one of may bays at my older wash and do not want the dramatic slope that goes to the pit. I was thinking I could fill the pit in with gravel and pour a few inches of concrete over the existing bay concrete. Is there a problem in doing this?
Buz,

Make sure you avoid any feather edging. We avoided that by cutting away & jackhammering where the concrete meets other concrete

Just a thought & observation ... you will find it more difficult to wash down the bays if you have less slope to the pit.

mike