What's new

Is the In Bay Auto dying out?

Eugene

Old Man
Reaction score
Is the In Bay Auto dying with all the new express washes coming on line. When you go to the medium and large markets the inbays and self serve's look to be very slow when there is a express close by. Also can a inbay with free vac's & self serve compete with a express are at least keep its market share?

briteauto

Reaction score
I do not believe so. These things go in cycles and the 90's had a huge gain in touch-free IBA's, now you see many friction IBA's.

As it is now, if an operator wants a touch-free wash, they will pretty much have to install an IBA. I don't think you'll ever see a touch-free mini tunnel due to the lack of dwell time you would have and equipment you could install.

Also - you still have considerable savings putting in and IBA, which eliminates all the concrete/conveyor work. I think there will always be a market for the IBA. Maybe it will decrease a bit, and be reserved for the lower volume locations that do not have a faster wash to compete with, but there are still many washes in that situation - where the may not have direct competition with a conveyor wash.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There can be no doubt that EE's have put a dent in IBA sales in metro areas. I think you will see more movement to rural locations and more selective locations in large urban areas. If anyone could design a retro fit tunnel/conveyor wash for automatic bays that self loads with backroom equipment that can fit into a small equipment room that could affect IBA sales to an even greater degree.

PEI

Reaction score
There can be no doubt that EE's have put a dent in IBA sales in metro areas. I think you will see more movement to rural locations and more selective locations in large urban areas. If anyone could design a retro fit tunnel/conveyor wash for automatic bays that self loads with backroom equipment that can fit into a small equipment room that could affect IBA sales to an even greater degree.
Do you think EE's have put a dent in all IBA sales or just Friction IBA's? It would appear that the customer who wants a touchless clean has little choice but the IBA.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
When EEs come to an area, they come with avengence. They're popping up everywhere here. BUT...not a week goes by that one of our customers come back to our touchfrees and say they won't use them again. Most of them claim lost antennas, clausterphobia, or other damage. Probably overstated, but customer perception and word of mouth do travel. What most likely will happen is the stronger IBA locations will make it, we're already seeing some weaker ones throw in the towel. It may not take as long for EEs to figure out that one on every corner won't work either, JUST LIKE IBAs DON'T, but especially with that kind of price tag for EE.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The touch free vs friction point is a good one. I don't have actual numbers but by the number of friction units on the floor of the ICA Show I would guess they are making a comeback. A well run EE with good equipment should not damage a vehicle any more than an IBA with friction. As far as the claustrophobia issue in both scenarios the customers are inside the vehicle while it is getting washed. I agree that EE's may be on the same track as IBA's as far as overbuilding. Until or if the economy ever gets back on track we will get a better idea on how this all plays out.

mmurra

Reaction score
We operate both touchfree automatics and an express soft cloth adjacent to each other. Both did OK prior to the recession / depression in Michigan, Now they are both doing poorly, volume wise. IBA washing is not out of favor, carwashing is! Mark

washnvac

Reaction score
It does not matter what you have, if folks do not have the spare funds. Car washing falls low on most peoples budgets at this time. When $100 does not fill up the suv, it drains the discretinary income which we depend on.

You can charge $7, $5, or even $3, but if our potential customer does not have it to spare, it does not matter.

As I am sure most of you do, I see plenty of dirty cars on the road.

PEI

Reaction score
I don't know how much the EE is hurting the IBA, but I would say that the IBA is not dying out. It remains as the first choice for the oilers. Sheetz Gas Stations are putting new Laserwashes everywhere. Then they will occasionally give the car wash away for free with gas purchase. Usually for a month at a time.

I think the future for the IBA is less with independent operators and in free standing form and more with the gas stations and oil companies. I think operators, such as ourselves, are more and more being forced into either some form of tunnel or self serve.

My self serve has actually improved with the recession.:)

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I raised my IBA prices recently and still wash cars when the weather is right.

I poll customers from time to time and the majority I speak to would not use friction.

I don't think blanket statements about industry segments are valid; it's about a specific marketplace. Some busy and prosperous carwashes would fail miserably in a different market.

I heard of one busy detail shop in the Boston area, for example, recently. The equipment was antiquated and the facility less-than pristine. However the place was SUPER BUSY and has been there for a very long time, so I assume it is a financial success. And here I am in a little W. MA town, with a beautiful shop, air tools, new extractor, squeaky clean restroom, everything put neatly away in locking, shiny cabinets, etc..

Maybe I am missing something!:eek:

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If friction is not making a strong comeback why do all of the major touch free manufacturers now offer friction machines when in the past they did not? There is some danger in making blanket statements about our industry and there are some local elements that may make differences. For instance, how long has that detail shop you mention been in business? Chances are they have a good customer base built over the years or are connected to another successful operation that feeds it business.

In some cases overbuilding or building a wash in a lousy location can severely affect ones success. Poor management can bring even the best site down. However, IBA's are definitely in decline due to some of the factors already mentioned. There still are some great locations that will support a good IBA wash but many existing washes are being closed when in the past old machines were replaced with new ones. I believe IBA's will always have their place in the car wash industry but for many reasons they will never experience the fantastic growth they had in the late 1900's and early 2000's.

Etowah