What's new

Is someone stringing my changers?

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I converted to dollar tokens shortly after purchasing my wash and I haven't had any noticeable problems with people messing with the changers.

However, on the last money collection I found several odd things all at once-- a "remnant" of a $1 bill (only about a 1 1/2" strip of bill along the edge), a $1 bill with scotch tape on it, and a $5 with a staple in it. (The bill counter found the staple.)

Is this enough to conclude that someone is fooling with the changers, and, if so, what would you recommend?

Randy

Reaction score
What kind of changer is it and what validator are you using?

The only way to know for sure is to keep a count the coins going out of the hopper and count the bills coming into the stacker/bill box. If you?ve got more coins going out than bills coming in then I?d say you?ve got a problem.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Changer

I have had someone using the vending machine to turn $1 tokens back into 4 quarters. Maybe they try to string a token then change it back, but that seems like a lot of work to me for small $$$.

I turned on "force vend" on the vendor so now it gobbles the $1 token and requires that something be purchased, lol.

Etowah

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
Duane,
The only way you're going to know is if you do an inventory of your tokens put into the machines and match it against the currency and counter on the changer.
As you know, we do this on each empty-out and keep a running total. If we happen to have a busy week we have spare bags of 200 tokens we drop in our changers as needed and leave the empty bag in the changer so that we know that changer has been added to.
It takes time, but we know immediately if any one has been screwing around with our changers.

MEP001

Reaction score
Sequoia said:
It is an American Changer with Mars validator.
Someone may have tried to string it and left evidence of the attempt behind, but I still haven't heard of a confirmed case of a Mars being strung. I would have to doubt you've been - we replaced all our XE's after being strung, and the bill counts are verified against the hopper counters and ACW reports each week. They aren't stringing the new Mars.