What's new

Is Mark 7 with hub scrub any good

dclark3344

Reaction score
I have Jim Coleman Water Wizards and am looking to buy a carwash that has Mark 7 with hub scrubbers. I really like the Wizards because they rock the car. My customers believe if it isn't totally clean it must have been too dirty for a touch free to clean it. I do not think the Marks will rock the car and was wondering if the hub scrubbers really work without damaging the vehicle? How dependable are they?
An operator put 2 in 2 miles from me and many of my customers tried him but came back. Both of his have been down for 3 weeks, they are not worn out but must not take sitting still for long periods of time without being used. I think part is his location and Lack of maintenance.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I've got the hub-scrub beta machine. I bought it in April '04. The scrubbers work just fine. I've had very little trouble out of them and have never damaged a vehicle with them. I replaced the first brush today. It was not worn out, but it gets a lot of abuse as vehicles exit and turn right they sometimes run up on the rail and tear bristles from the PS brush. The machine sets 5" off-center in the bay which compounds this issue. The driver side brush is the original.

I don't think you can blame a 3 week down period on the machine. There's some underlying reason they haven't been repaired. I've never been down over a day. In the event my dist. doesn't have a needed part (almost never happens) Mark VII will next day it out to me.

Don't be afraid of the Mark VIIs they are good machines. I would however do a lot of research on the distributor there.

Reds

Reaction score
You can get wheel scrubbers for the Water Wizards 2.0 too. New or retrofit. I have it on one machine and it works good and my customers love it. I am going to retrofit it onto my other WW2.

mac

Reaction score
As you've discovered the distributor can make or break any machine. There are no real requirements to becoming a distributor, and even less to become a factory trained tech.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
We have 2 MK VII machines, one with hub scrub. They are both highly reliable machines. We have had about three occaisions in 3 yrs where hub scrub motor breaker tripped because vehicle had front wheels cocked. Reset brkr and no other problems. We have a terrific distributor who always can point us in right direction with one phone call if we can't solve problem. Result has been ZERO service calls on both machines--one 6.5 yrs old and one 3 yrs old. Find a good distributor. We are very pleased with these machines.

Ted

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
As you've discovered the distributor can make or break any machine. There are no real requirements to becoming a distributor, and even less to become a factory trained tech.
Although I mentioned checking out the distributor I am not automatically assuming that they are to blame for this extended down time. Who knows, maybe the owner isn't paid up and they have decided they can stay home and still not get paid. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Must depend on the company. Ryko is very discriminating when it comes to being a Ryko distributor! As you state many brands will make you a distributor just because you buy one machine. What requirements did you have to meet to distribute the many different brands you sell? Have you had factory training? I have over 500 hundred hours of factory training that even included working on the production line! Building Voyagers (this was over 18 years ago) the first thing I did after Ryko hired me as a tech, then I went to test track, on then on to building dryers, truck washes and other supporting devices. I now go back to the factory once a year for our week long update seminar.

mac

Reaction score
Rykopro, for someone that calls himself a pro, there are many things you don't seem to grasp. My company works on eight different brands of machines because the original dist. either went out of business or is just incompetent.(One of those is a Ryko) We don't sell eight different brands. It is always fascinating to see you turn a discussion of one thing into a chance to let everyone know just how competent you are, and how Ryko aparantly never makes mistakes. Why didn't you mention the merit badges you got in boy scouts? Be careful not to sprain your arm while patting yourself on the back.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Mac,
All I was doing was debunking your claim "There are no real requirements to becoming a distributor, and even less to become a factory trained tech." While this statement is probably true for the brands you sell, it is not true about Ryko. You had a problem with factory training for some reason and I just wanted you to know that Ryko actually trains their techs.
I remember not too long ago you could not even write your own test to figure out who you should hire as a tech! Maybe some factory training would help?

I do try to promote Ryko any chance I get because I genuinely believe in the product, but you are the most self serving contributor to this forum! Your "helpful" comments are no more than thinly disguised attempts to badmouth your competition. You know Ryko techs have a "Factory Trained" patch on their uniforms.

mac

Reaction score
Boy some people must have real thin skin. Mark (I believe that is your name) if you read my posts you will not see, ever, where I have badmouthed you. I stated a fact that most here would agree to about distributors and techs. You took issue with that and proceeded to tell us all how great you are. Then, and I quote, "you are the most self serving contributor to this forum! Your "helpful" comments are no more than thinly disguised attempts to badmouth your competition. " Since you want to make this a personal thing, so be it. Did it ever occur to you that the reason you have has so many positions at Ryko, is that maybe you weren't that good at them, and management just kept moving you around? Maybe you need the yearly training because you can't remember the stuff from one year to the next. Maybe you just like to spend time in Grimes Iowa. You want to act like a little kid, I'll treat you like one.

soapy

Reaction score
Mac, I don't know how you find any problems with what Rykopro said. The people with ryko equipment on this forum appreciate his knowledge about our product. We are glad to have his factory training at our disposal. I am sure many on here like your support too on other equipment. He never said he was better than anyone just relayed some facts about his company and training. I don't know why you would try to run him off. A good factory trained tech is hard to come by and I am glad we have one from ryko that will take the time to help us who have ryko equipment.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Mac,
You have made many posts showing me your basic attitude, so I do not have a problem making statements like I have. Your attempt to go personal is as ridiculous as is your constant attacks against your competitors!
I am not sure why you think I have had many different jobs at Ryko? I started as a tech and was promoted to supervisor and then to service manager. As a distributor service manager I now have even more responsibility than I did with Ryko. I have worked for only three companies in 25 years!
I come here only to help and learn. Ryko has neither encouraged or discouraged my participation on this forum. ALL statements are my own.
I would welcome you to any type of debate, but you need to step it up to make it at least a little challenging. You will need to come up with something more than false attacks on my abilities and job history to **** me off.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Thanks Soapy!

Mac, I don't know how you find any problems with what Rykopro said. The people with ryko equipment on this forum appreciate his knowledge about our product. We are glad to have his factory training at our disposal. I am sure many on here like your support too on other equipment. He never said he was better than anyone just relayed some facts about his company and training. I don't know why you would try to run him off. A good factory trained tech is hard to come by and I am glad we have one from ryko that will take the time to help us who have ryko equipment.
Thank you Soapy for your kind words! I have learned a few things about OHD's from you too, you do a great job of helping others with their Ryko's.
Thanks,
Mark

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
What are you talking about Bill?

This is great stuff: "Maybe you need the yearly training because you can't remember the stuff from one year to the next. Maybe you just like to spend time in Grimes Iowa."

I do like to spend time in Iowa but it is because I was born and raised there! Both my wife's family and my family all live in Des Moines. The real reason I go to Ryko for annual training is because Ryko wants to make sure we are updated with the latest product information. We use this opportunity to share our field experience with the factory and other service providers throughout the country. These discussions last well into the night and all of this benefits our customers. Most of us would agree that education and knowledge is a good thing.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Mac mis-interpreted what I wrote: "Building Voyagers (this was over 18 years ago) the first thing I did after Ryko hired me as a tech, then I went to test track, on then on to building dryers, truck washes and other supporting devices. "

As stated, I was hired as a tech. I was describing my initial training at the factory, not job descriptions. I thought it was kind of cool that Ryko started all techs building and testing equipment for their initial training. We were then sent to at least two different areas of the country for remote field training.
Of course this only gave us a taste of what was yet to come!