What's new

Is it normal for carwash insurance provider to request

Strava

Reaction score
I have Donegal insurance and last year was my first year of carwash proprietorship. I'm kinda surprised that they want a P&L, Tax returns, Sales Tax, a colonoscopy & proof of how I logged my sales. Is this normal?

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
Most insurance companies base their risk on your volume. The more $, the more cars / customers and the higher the risk.
About every three years my insurance company asks for my schedule c.

Strava

Reaction score
I thought it was quite odd & I had never heard of an insurance company asking for that information. I figured that I would ask here I know that Donegal insures a lot of carwashes.

OurTown

Reaction score
We have Erie (for 5 years now) and have not had to submit anything like that.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Just had to submit this to Midlothian, whom a LOT of carwashes use. 0ur association pushes them. They've sold, & is now Assured Partners. They just asked for ALL of that & it's a PiTA!!!

Strava

Reaction score
Just had to submit this to Midlothian, whom a LOT of carwashes use. 0ur association pushes them. They've sold, & is now Assured Partners. They just asked for ALL of that & it's a PiTA!!!
ok I'm not the only one then.

Strava

Reaction score
I did it for this year. I think if they ask again next year I'm going to push back to get a better understanding of why & or find a different provider.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Not unusual and if you use accounting software easy to provide. a P&L. If they want income tax returns and I was a sole proprietor which would be a mistake, I would only give them the schedule from my personal return.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I did it for this year. I think if they ask again next year I'm going to push back to get a better understanding of why & or find a different provider.
If they ask for it again next yr, Im telling them to pound sand, & getting another provider.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
I have Donegal insurance and last year was my first year of carwash proprietorship. I'm kinda surprised that they want a P&L, Tax returns, Sales Tax, a colonoscopy & proof of how I logged my sales. Is this normal?
I've had IMT insurance for over 20 years. They send me an audit form once a year to show my gross sales. I think part of my premium is calculated on sales volume because I'll get a bill or credit from them based on this audit. If you are happy with them otherwise, I would put up with it. I doubt "Big Brother" is watching you.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm curious why your income would matter to an insurance company unless you're covered either for loss of income or theft.

Strava

Reaction score
I'm curious why your income would matter to an insurance company unless you're covered either for loss of income or theft.
Since I'm new to the business I wasn't sure if this was normal for this industry. I had never had an insurance company ask for a P&L for my subway franchises, bar, campground, garbage disposal business, or apartment rentals.