What's new

~Is Detailing Recession Proof???

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

How are the other detail shops looking for ytd comparisons over 2007?

My shop's net is up over last year, despite a combination of seemingly negative economic conditions as well as higher variable costs.

To my benefit, I moved my detail shop to a new building much closer to my wash and the cross- marketing effects have been super.

I've also been advertising regularly in newspaper and radio formats, as well as keeping my pricing current and marketing materials fresh.

I'm making operational-efficiency improvements little by little, as well.

Let's hear from you, detail shop owners! Tell us what's going on in your neck of the woods.:D

Pro-Techt

Reaction score
I'm sure fixed shops that focus on dealer work would be down, but I know of many high-end mobile guys that cater to the uber rich are busier than heck! I'd suggest if a business takes a down turn to expand/venture out into other streams of related income.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My detail shop is somewhere in between; we do no dealer work and do not do much work for the 'uber-rich'. We do retail detailing and it is definitely up over 2007.

We give a nice, high level of personalized service and that, combined with a level of quality that is in line with price, has worked well for us for 13+ years!

Danny

Reaction score
I don't know if this is a sign of worse recession or detailers being recession proof. My warehouse is in a large commercial complex and there have been an overwhelming amount of mobile detailers lately going from business to business looking for work.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
sounds like those mobile guys lack a marketing plan and perhaps an advertising budget. I definitely do not envy the mobile detailers because I love my new shop and feel that my location lends credibility to my business and makes me seem professional.

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
Around here, the mobile detailers are mostly "fly-by-night" businesses, out for quick cash and not looking to establish a regular customer base. In my opinion, they're barely a step up from the homeless guy at the corner with a spray bottle of water and a wad of newspaper.