What's new

Is a sign required when using surveillance cameras?

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you have to have a sign up announcing cameras are in use before the vidoe would be submissiable in court?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You need to have someoe check your local laws. They vary. For example, Illinois has some of the most restrictive and the validity of those laws is on appeal now. Every styate may be different.

So, whatever was correct last week, may be different today.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you have to have a sign up announcing cameras are in use before the vidoe would be submissiable in court?
I don't know if they are required before being admissable in court or not but I like them because I want folks to know they are there. I think it might make some people think twice....certainly not the hard core crooks they aren't going to care one way or the other but some for many things, dumping, doing all sorts of things in the bays etc I think they can be a deterreant and folks doing those things may tend to go elsewhere. So....I post mine....in fact the security company that sold me the DVR and cameras supllied me with about 20 stickers to the effect that audio and video survelience is used on these premises even though we don't currently have audio.

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
Bill, this is different concern from my post last year. Someone has been getting into my star safes for the last 4 weeks. I take bills, coins, and CC's so it took me a few weeks to narrow it down to the safes. There are only a couple of people I can think of that would have access to the combination. My wife doesn't even know it. I really want to catch them in the act. I just want to make sure the video will be permissible in court if I use a hidden camera.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Like Earl said your state may be different, but as long as audio isn't envilved, no sign is necessary.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If you post a sign just make sure that your system is working. Several years ago in Arizona a woman was killed at a self service wash that had signs posted and fake cameras. The family sued because the signs lead to a false sense of security that the facility was safe because of the surveillance cameras. I don't remember how much they got in the judgment but they did win the case.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
If you post a sign just make sure that your system is working. Several years ago in Arizona a woman was killed at a self service wash that had signs posted and fake cameras. The family sued because the signs lead to a false sense of security that the facility was safe because of the surveillance cameras. I don't remember how much they got in the judgment but they did win the case.
Wow, it appears that those ambulance chasers were allowed to work every conceivable angle!

pitzerwm

Reaction score
The issue is that you will get sued no matter what. Just have plain jane signs promising nothing. Have insurance, that is why we buy it.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There are far more reason why one should have a camera system than not to.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Have insurance, that is why we buy it.
If I remember right, there was a period of time when a large number of self service car wash operators went without insurance because the rates had skyrocketed out of range. Possibly, JJJ still monitors some of the posts & can shed light on that time period in our history.