What's new

Interior Tunnel Wall Painting Q's

wood

Reaction score
painting the inside tunnel wall.

I don't need to repaint my whole tunnel, but need an area of 40' long x 12' high repainted.

so what is the best paint and method for painting walls? I would try matching what i have, but as an exterior wash i don't think it's as critical. a new coat that matches 90 pct the same with a spiffed up look will be fine.

naturally time is a concern and if possible would time it with a dismal forecast.

how much time would it take 2 of my qualified employees to paint, approximately?

how long do i need to wait before i can reopen once they are done?

thanks,
wood

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
AFAIAC. Don't paint. Panel with FRP or Extrutech.

Wll last 10x as long. Won't take much longer. No downtime to wait for drying. Do as little or as much as downtime permits.

my2cents

Reaction score
I agree, don't paint. Once you paint, you will need to keep painting. Most block or concrete walls are not sealed when built. The walls will sweat and condense if not sealed properly and paint will peel. Extrutech is the way to go - skip FRP.

my2cents

Reaction score
FRP is a thin (1/8") paneling type product that can show imperfections in your wall. In addition the rivets that hold the panel in place need to be exactly placed on the sheet in order for it to look professional. The Extrutech is thicker (1/2"), provides a smoother look on the wall and wont buckle. It is harder to install in existing locations that may have permanent fixtures on the wall however. Just my opinion and I have seen a lot of tunnels and bays with Extrutech, FRP, paint and a material like fiberglas/gel coat. The Extrutech wins everytime for looks and durability.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FRP is a thin (1/8") paneling type product that can show imperfections in your wall. In addition the rivets that hold the panel in place need to be exactly placed on the sheet in order for it to look professional. The Extrutech is thicker (1/2"), provides a smoother look on the wall and wont buckle. It is harder to install in existing locations that may have permanent fixtures on the wall however. Just my opinion and I have seen a lot of tunnels and bays with Extrutech, FRP, paint and a material like fiberglas/gel coat. The Extrutech wins everytime for looks and durability.
I asked because I have put FRP in 3 tunnels and ready to do the 4th. HAve the pebbled finish in 2 and moved to the smooth finish now. Do not reall have the issues you describe and since we are EE no one gets within a few feet to examine the surface for minor imperfections. I went with this product because I believe it is less ecpensive, easier to install and less dificult to mount things on the wall on top of it since there is no hollow space.

wood

Reaction score
Earl:

Who do you buy the FRP from? Local rep, or direct online?

Thanks for your feed back.

Wood

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Earl:

Who do you buy the FRP from? Local rep, or direct online?

Thanks for your feed back.

Wood
We have a local supplier so we can save the shipping. From time to time I have even gotten small amounts at the local Home Depot.