What's new

Installing water reclaim in existing wash

Baywash

Mike
Reaction score
When I built my second car wash, water/sewer rates were about $5/1000 gal. Now the city says they plan to raise it to about $15/1000. Needless to say, I elected to not install reclaim at construction, but now I am looking at a different ball game. I am fighting the city on the huge increase and I think we will settle on around $10/1000...which would take my monthly water bill to about $1600 per month best case.

I am looking at all the systems and if I am going to go to the effort and capital expenditure, I would like to reclaim 100% of my water. So far the only company that I know a little about and will make the claim of closed loop system, is Rowafil. Does anyone have experience with these guys? http://www.rowafil.com/

I would also appreciate recommendations or other companies to investigate.

I would be more than happy to speak with anyone pm or phone.

Mike

seattleguy

Reaction score
I recently bought a wash with a Rowafil system. It was installed 2 or 3 years ago and immediately redtagged by inspectors as it wasn't UL certified. It will be cost prohibited to get it up and running and I am currently evaluating my options. Be careful.

mac

Reaction score
It's relatively easy to claim that your reclaim system is a 100% closed loop system. It's another thing to actually make one work, and have it pass a UL rating. What type of wash operation are we talking about? It's much easier to get close to complete reclaim with a tunnell. Automatics are a little more trickier, and self serve is downright difficult. Here's a test for any salesmen you talk to. Ask them to show you a 100% reclaim customer with the same type of wash operation that has been in service for a year. The systems that I've seen that will do a complete reclaim for all types of operations are pricey and require a lot of attention. Think of a real needy, but great looking woman. You'll spend a lot of time fussing over it. You then have the issue of the thing actually making sense looking at the dollars involved. My rule of thumb is that it should pay for itself in 5 years or less. If you spend 30 to 40K and it saves you $100 per month why bother?

Baywash

Mike
Reaction score
Spending around $50k on a reclaim system and if I cut my water usage down by 85%, I will pay for the system in 4 years. I am getting good reports from the customers of Rowafil...not a single dissatisfied customer out of talking to eight. I talked to the Rowafil guys and the issue with the UL rating was fixed within one month of original installation. Not sure why it is not in use right now.

I am also considering the Sobrite. I plan on going to their plant sometime in the next couple weeks. I would like to hear from any Sobrite customers. Feel free to PM me.

Mike