What's new

Installing used units

Joswhaha

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience or feedback installing used In Bay Automatics? Did you install your self or is there a service that will install and set it up?

I’m thinking of purchasing a carwash and want to know my options before I commit to a purchase.
Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
There's not likely to be a general service company that does this. Most machines require specific knowledge to install. Your best bet IMO would be to find a distributor who can sell you a machine, install it properly, service it and teach you about it.

soonermajic

Reaction score
No way in haydeze Id try to install my own used machine. NO WAY
You can save a bunch, but may not find anyone to install it, or service it. But u can save a fortune...

Last edited:

APW

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience or feedback installing used In Bay Automatics? Did you install your self or is there a service that will install and set it up?

I’m thinking of purchasing a carwash and want to know my options before I commit to a purchase.
Thanks
My first wash I bought a used PDQ M5 and had a PDQ distributor install it. 8 years later the machine is still washing cars. My second site I built I had the same distributor mount a used Washworld High Velocity and I wired and plumbed it in. It ended up being a busy site so I installed a Razor in place of the high velocity. I think starting out a used machine is the way to go unless you have cash and just need to spend money then I would go with a new one.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the idea of starting out with everything brand new. Think of all the crud that builds up in solenoids, valves and hoses. Think of the wear and tear on bearings, pulleys and belts. All of the deferred maintenance that's going to cause a failure. For a new operator, it's hard enough starting off with new or existing, let alone all the stuff that's 'about to break'. It will break Friday afternoon just before a busy weekend and you will stress out.

MEP001

Reaction score
Think of all the crud that builds up in solenoids, valves and hoses. Think of the wear and tear on bearings, pulleys and belts.
How do you expect to learn how to work on it? :)

Joswhaha

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. I am still still trying to figure out if the wash I’m looking at is feasible and if I should install a new or used IBA. Is there any standard for how many washes per day to break even on a unit?

Joswhaha

Reaction score
Another note. My banker said they would finance 100% of the cost of the automatic, if I wanted to. Of course that means higher monthly obligations but I thought it was interesting.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. I am still still trying to figure out if the wash I’m looking at is feasible and if I should install a new or used IBA. Is there any standard for how many washes per day to break even on a unit?
Can't be, cause they all cost different & price points are all different. I think you can easily explain a 10% jump in business & you ould also raise prices 20% at least.
Figure out what makes those #'s work, t nake payments + soaps & utilities. Then you can answer tbis quandary

Zal

Reaction score
I installed a used PDQ 360 2 years ago Lot of work but saves $$$ Would I do it again? don't know. Got to be ambitious - maybe and have some help Help is hard to get. I had the distributor send a guy to help wire and start it up. All in at about $35000 including used machine. it is making 65% more than the previous owner with worn out LW4000 and is dependable. Make your own call based on your comfort..
Best of luck
Zal

ICEMAN

Reaction score
I installed a used PDQ L4000 years ago. PDQ distributor installed it and it washed cars for eight years. Did just as good as the new L4000 that was beside it. I only did this because I got a great deal and distributor installed it. Never did give me any issues, in fact it was working great the day we took it out and put in new PDQ 360s. The problem with used automatics is they lack the new technology, are slower and use more water.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
Another note. My banker said they would finance 100% of the cost of the automatic, if I wanted to. Of course that means higher monthly obligations but I thought it was interesting.
Talk to your accountant. If you finance the new auto wash as part of the mortgage, you can only write off the interest and depreciate the asset.
If you use a lease through a bank or finance company you can write off the entire lease payment.
It may be a better option.