What's new

Installing FRP on walls

Wally

Reaction score
To keep the panels from bowing you need a 3/8 in hole in the panel and a quarter inch hole in the wall.
There is a way to do this in one easy step. I use a Hilti hammer drill with a 1/4 inch masonary drill. The 1/4 in. bit has a 3/8 in. shaft the goes in the drill. When it goes from 1/4 to 3/8 it has a smooth taper. With the panel against the wall, drill the 1/4 inch hole and continue pushing and drilling and the 3/8 portion of the drill will take out a hole in the frp panel. It happens very quick and easy. You have a 1/4 hole in the blocks and a 3/8 hole perfectly centered in the frp.
Start of by drilling the two top corners of the panel and put a pin in each hole but don't drive it in because you want to take it out later and make the hole in the panel larger.
With the panel hanging you can now drill the other holes pushing the drill to make the larger hole in the panel and drive the rivets in tight to secure it.
The panel need to be at least 1/2 off the floor and a fat 1/8 in the divider strip. Give yourself some wiggle room.
I think Bosch and others make a similar drill bit. If your hammer drill has a regular style chuck, you can still use the Hilti drill bit in it.
I've put up 8 ft and 12 ft sheets using this method. The last wash I did, I took 12 ft. sheets cut them in half and run a 16 in red band of pvc across the top from one end of the bay to the other. On the end walls and the equipt. room walls I laid to 12 ft. panels on their side across the top of the red band to keep a cleaner look and not have so many divider strips. The petition walls are 7 ft 4in with a four foot section on each end going to the ceiling.
I know I've said a lot here, if you have any questions you can PM me.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The last wash I did, I took 12 ft. sheets cut them in half and run a 16 in red band of pvc across the top from one end of the bay to the other. On the end walls and the equipt. room walls I laid to 12 ft. panels on their side across the top of the red band to keep a cleaner look and not have so many divider strips. QUOTE]

Where did you get the 16" red PVC?
Cut the 12' sheets in half so they were 4x6 or 3x12?

Wally

Reaction score
The red was 4x8 sheet of FRP. The other was 4x12 sheet of FRP. I don't use white, I get a color called "Sand". The company I bought if from was in Tennessee. I can't remember the name of it right now. I can send you some pictures if you would like.

I did one wash with 12 ft. panels standing on the end. Much harder to work with.

The hole drilling is the key to a good looking job. If that is not done right they will wrinkle and look like crap.

I'm sure some people read the thread and though you can't drill a hole with the smooth taper of a drill bit. You can in FRP. I've drilled hundreds of them.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I'm sure some people read the thread and though you can't drill a hole with the smooth taper of a drill bit. You can in FRP. I've drilled hundreds of them.
We always just lay the stack Horizontaly on a pallet and drill all the 3/8" holes thru all panels at the same time.

Always thought about putting panels horizontaly the long way because the bottoms seemed to get trashed and figured this bottom could be easily swapped out. Never did it. Thought horizontal dividers might be a dirt / water trapping issue.

Diana

Reaction score
Temperature..... find out the mfg recommended temperature to hang the FRP. We hung ours when it was to cold outside, then when it warmed up it bowed out. We had to take in down and re-hang it.