What's new

Injecting air into chemicals

sparkey

Reaction score
I am reworking my selfserve stand and noticed that the only thing I am injecting air into to make foam is my low pressure tire cleaner and foam brush. Shouldn't I be injecting air into my low pressure presoak also? Can I use the same airline that injects air into my tire cleaner to inject air into my presoak? I know I will have to rework some solenoid wiring to do this, but that is not a problem. My tire cleaner air ties into the manifold above the bay.

sprocket

Reaction score
Thats how I do mine. Use a separate air manifold and tee the lines together going to the bay. In 1 of my washes I used 1 air manifold for both and you just don't want to have the air for the tire cleaner the same pressure as your presoak. I just wasn't happy with the way it worked with 1,so I changed it to 2 so there was better control of the product.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can use the same solenoids to aerate the presoak and tire cleaner. You'd need an extra wire from the bay and jumper the tire cleaner/presoak on the second stack of the switch the same way soap, rinse and wax is done to turn on the motor. The only drawback is that it's more finicky to get it adjusted right, and the liquid pressures have to be almost the same. If you run your tire cleaner at 50 PSI and your presoak at 100 and you can't or don't want to change that, it won't work.

Adding a second solenoid stack is the usual way, amd it doesn't take any rewiring. You just hook them up with the existing presoak solenoids and tee into the existing air line.

wader

Reaction score
I am also looking for a way to inject air into my presoaks. I curerntly use a flow jet in the mechanical rooom to send the chemical to a "T" at the boom in the bay, It then comes out through the high pressure wand.

Do you guys have the presoak foam coming out of your high pressure wand, or do you have a seperate gun to apply the presoak foam?

If you do use your high pressure wand to apply the presoak foam...what would you suggest?

Thanks

Wade

MEP001

Reaction score
wader said:
Do you guys have the presoak foam coming out of your high pressure wand, or do you have a seperate gun to apply the presoak foam?
I've never seen a car wash with presoak on a separate gun.

wader said:
If you do use your high pressure wand to apply the presoak foam...what would you suggest?
I would suggest what was already suggested above.

wader

Reaction score
I've never seen a car wash with presoak on a separate gun.
Same here, but I have seen a wax applied this way.

Im using 2505 tips, are these standard for the foam application?

wader

Reaction score
Adding a second solenoid stack is the usual way, amd it doesn't take any rewiring. You just hook them up with the existing presoak solenoids and tee into the existing air line.
So the solenoids would be wired the same as the foam brush?

The air/presoak would be mixed in the mechanical room and sent to the bay in one line?

Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
wader said:
Im using 2505 tips, are these standard for the foam application?
Any size bay tip would work - you can vary the presoak pressure to get the coverage you want.

wader said:
So the solenoids would be wired the same as the foam brush?
Yes.

wader said:
The air/presoak would be mixed in the mechanical room and sent to the bay in one line?
You could, but I wouldn't recommend it. The usual way is to have the air and liquid tee together at the boom. Running it mixed to the bay would cause a long fill time.

wader

Reaction score
Would a normal brass "T" at the boom work or should i use a foam generator?

MEP001

Reaction score
The check valve will mix the chemical and air - you won't need a foam generator. You aren't looking to get volume in foam, you basically just want to reduce the flow of liquid so you can increase the strength of the chemical without increasing your costs. The aerated presoak will also stick to the car better.