What's new

Industy Insider who DO NOT pay their just debts

• Thread starter Patrick H. Crowe
  • Start date
P

Patrick H. Crowe

I've heard stuff about Biden not paying only later to hear it was crap. There are claims about GinSan - - who knows.

I'll report a first person case of an industry insider who refused to pay me and in my opinion still owes me a ton of money.

I was asked to do a piece on car wah overbuilding. I warned the owner, publisher, editor that I could only report on th Kansas City area. He assured me he had a number of other reporters, in other areas who would do similar pieces about their situations. Never happened, just his BS.

It ws a "rush" assignment which I completed on thime. Pictures, exact locations, carefully researched demographics and so on. It literally took hundreds of hours and I had to set aside other projects to meet the very thight deadline.

I produced the piece on time. The owner, editor, publisher did not like many of the opinions I gave for WHY this had happened. Some reflected badly on the industry and on his paper, i.e. lack of leadership and so on.

He killed the piece. He never even had the decent manners to tell me he'd done so. The "rush" piece never appeared, so I found out, in the next issue.

I billed him for my hundreds of hours of time. I cited standard "kill" fees (about 50%).

He pi$$ed and moaned. He never paid a DIME.

Guess who? The industry reeks of crooks.

Patrick H. Crowe

mac

Reaction score
While I hate to see people get stiffed, it makes it somewhat enjoyable when that person thinks Oprah would make a good president. It sounds like you let your ego get ahead of your business acumen. Trying to explain parts of a contract, or even bring up standard practices after the fact is simply lack of foresight. Anytime you enter into a contract(you DID have a written one, didn't you?) all the terms need to be there. Seems pretty standard for published writers, producers, and actors. And you are just now finding out that there are unscrupouls people in the business? If you want any satisfaction, I suggest telling others who this perp is so others will be better prepared to deal with him.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
What is "crap" in your opinion?

Why did this guy author the letter about Biden, then?

When did Biden pay this debt?

Is it possible that Biden (or someone on his behalf) pay this when they knew it might be a campaign issue?

How long did he string out this guy?

MEP001

Reaction score
Patrick H. Crowe said:
I'll report a first person case of an industry insider who refused to pay me and in my opinion still owes me a ton of money.
Is this the JJJ story again?

soapy

Reaction score
I have written several articles for various car wash publication and not once did I ever expect to receive any compensation for it. The industry has been very good to me and I like to give back. I try to keep opinions to myself in these articles and just write the facts. Sounds like you injected too many of your own views. WHo ever it was that did not publish you has every right not to. Just because a publisher reads a book someone wrote and decides not to publish it does not mean that the publishers owes the writer anything.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Pat,

Seems like you hold onto a grudge a long time. I thought this was over a long time ago. What bothers you more? The fact that your article was rejected or that you didn't receive any compensation?

mac

Reaction score
You know Mr Crow, this reminds me of an old three musketeers movie with you in the starring role! In the movie, the good guy, that being you, would fence with twenty adversaries, jabbing, thrusting and paring with his swift sword, just as you verbally do the same with us uneducated and biased bad guys. You vanquish all twenty bad guys with your intellinence, verbal accumen, even mathematics, then turn around and run smack dab into a closed door. It's these little musings that bring a smile to my face. Keep up the good fight, honorable sir.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear Mac:

Where is your law degree from? How many books have you written so that we can tell if you have genuine experience in this field? Where did you rank in your law school class?

My son is licensed to practice law in California and Missouri. He was 6th (from the top, that is, unlike McCain who was 5th from the bottom) so I get genuine legal advice. Please let us all know about yourself, PLEASE!

In my 50+ years in business I have dealt with many men on a shake of the hands basis; not all but many. In well over 90% of the cases it has worked very well because of the basic honesty of these folks and me. So it was with the crook in question. Times change; folks get desperate - - who knows why?

If I were to follow your advice how could I get a cab to the airport for my next trip? There are so many more examples I won't waste my time. I hope, if you are married,
do you have a rock solid "pre-nup". Do you? I do not!

Patrick H. Crowe

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Mac:

1. Please be so mannerly and considerate as to spell my name correctly. Is that too much to ask? I prefer fresh cut flowers to potted plants as an apology for this intended insult - -or is it just you poor reading skills?

Yes, kind sir, I did send flowers to the editor of P C & D as an apology when I mistakenly misspelled her name. Her thank you note was touching and memorable.

2. You show your complete lack of insight with your question about OPRAH as president. Please buy the transcript of her 10/18/06 show (Obama was NOT, I say again NOT) running at the time.

He suggested, on that show and she agreed (twice in fact) that she was ONLY asking him to run to get me off her case to run. Subtle wasn't it? Do you still miss the point? Miss the irony? Get it? Brains count! That's why Obama is such a better choice than McCain - - right?

Please bear in mind he (McCain) has admitted in public that he failed to even read the section of the flight training manual on emergency canopy release for the trainer he put into the water. He appeared to think that was funny, i.e., proof a maverick status!
He almost got killed.

I contend that if he had been in flight training for any major commercial airline he'd have gotten the "boot" he earned and deserved. Am I right?

Patrick H. Crowe

MikeV

Reaction score
No, Mr. Crowe, you are not right. How anyone with the brain power you so readily claim to have could even consider Obama for president is astounding. How you cannot see through his facade is also amazing. Yesterday he was compared to Jesus, and Palin compared to Pontius Pilate.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
It seems like I read in a posting from last year that you billed the "crook" about 20 grand for the article, correct me if I am wrong. What was the "shake of the hand" agreed price prior to the article being written?

mac

Reaction score
Boy somebody didn't spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express. Mr Crow you have listed too many things for me to respond to. Mainly because I think it would be boring to the readers. But let me take on a few. Contracts. Sometimes you need them and sometimes you don't. For my marriage I took a solemn vow. Till death do us part. When I take a vow, it"s a contract for me to do something. . Maybe you have never done anything like that. I took a vow to defend this country with my life if necessary when I joined the Marines and I would take up an M16 today and go to the mideast if I could. I'm sixty now and past the age cutoff. If my wife asks me to stop at the store for something on the way home, I usually don't sign a contract for that either. BUT, if someone asks me to do a project in which I will invest hundreds of hours of my business time, you bet your bippy everything will be in writing. Everything. If not shame on me. I won't go on the Oprah show and shed tears about it. I suggest you do the same. I am also amazed that any trade publication could or would spend thousands of dollars for any article. Maybe I write for the wrong people. I've had four published in PC&D.

mac

Reaction score
As a follow up, let me thank you for asking about my qualifications. No college degree but I did take three semesters of college level calculus and set the school record for highest grades in that course. Was an electronics instructor in the Marine Corps. Have a current commercial pilot's license with single, multi engine, and instrument endorsements. Operate and part owner of a Mooney M20J. Have a class D license from the United States Parachute Association. That's called the expert one. Am a licensed parachute rigger for chest and back reserves. Also a jumpmaster and Instructor rating. Successfully started three small businesses and sold two for a tidy profit. Have worked in the building trades and am a passable mason, concrete former and demolition, electrician, plumber, and millwright. Even taught myself how to juggle. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to brag a little. And don't hold your breath for the flowers. Gotta go. Oprah's on.

Etowah

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Doug,

Palin never owned a car wash. She was involved in a partnership that purchased land to build a wash but the wash was never built and the property was sold and used for another purpose. I bet if she did own a wash it wouldn't have gone belly up though.

I guess the Daily Kos did their usual sloppy work, invented facts or intentionally left out the details. You seem like an intelligent individual but one who wants to believe the worst rather than seek the truth. This seems to be your pattern and it is really getting old.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Mac:

Before you dare post again please apologicze for the misspelling of my name. Tht'a a direct insult.

Your bragging about your "accomplishments" is noted. But prior to those boasts almost any gentleman would offer a sincere and humble apology for the contempt (ignorance or poor reading skill) shown in the misspelling of my name. Well done Mix.

Patrick H. Crowe