What's new

Increase to $3 to start

Wheels

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has experience with the overall percentage increase in sales if I increase from $2 to $3 start on my wash. I assume I may lose some customers over the increase. Can I expect a 10%, 20%, 25% increase?

Mattwash

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has experience with the overall percentage increase in sales if I increase from $2 to $3 start on my wash. I assume I may lose some customers over the increase. Can I expect a 10%, 20%, 25% increase?
Not sure about increase in sales. But when I remodeled my wash, I did starting price of $3/4min. Occasionally someone will say something or someone will drive through and leave after looking at the price/sign. The only self serve close by is a couple miles away on the opposite side of town, has watered down chemicals and starting price is $3.75. Everyone I talk to tells me how good my chemicals are and how clean my place is compared to theirs. If you’re providing a superior service wouldn’t be afraid to set it to $3. Just my two cents.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know every market is different, but with inflation where it is, interest rates where they are, the cost of goods sold increasing, why isn't everyone at five dollars to start? It's not that much money guys. I've been at five dollars now going on two years and I have had very few if any customer complaints. I wish I had done it a year earlier.

A fountain soda at a restaurant is more than two dollars. Think about it.

Last edited:

CarWashBoy

Reaction score
I know every market is different, but with inflation where it is, interest rates where they are, the cost of good sold increasing, why isn't everyone at five dollars to start? It's not that much money guys. I've been at five dollars now going on two years and I have had very few if any customer complaints. I wish I had done it a year earlier.
[/QUOTE

Mattwash

Reaction score
I know every market is different, but with inflation where it is, interest rates where they are, the cost of good sold increasing, why isn't everyone at five dollars to start? It's not that much money guys. I've been at five dollars now going on two years and I have had very few if any customer complaints. I wish I had done it a year earlier.
I’m not opposed to that price. I was in the middle of a remodel and slowly adding items. Definitely going to take a look at price increases after the new year.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
$3 for 4min is the new Industry Standard like in 2001 it was $2.00 for 4mins. If my competition wasn’t giving it away for free at $1.50 I would be $3 myself

Mattwash

Reaction score
One of the few studies I could find on national water rates. Utility water bills increased 43% from 2012-2021.

Now take into consideration how much have chemicals, energy, and equipment/repair parts increased over the last decade? We should probably be at much higher rates.

RAAOO7

Reaction score
just went from $4 to $5, in two weeks only one person asked about if the price went up. Most of my customers spend more than $5 so it doesnt make any difference to them. Only the cheapskate people that want to spend the minimum and mess up your place. You cant even buy gum and a soda anymore for $5. I don't want anyone on my lot unless they are going to spend minimum $5 & up. Im in the business to make $$$$ not eat top ramen and give everything away for free

Mattwash

Reaction score
just went from $4 to $5, in two weeks only one person asked about if the price went up. Most of my customers spend more than $5 so it doesnt make any difference to them. Only the cheapskate people that want to spend the minimum and mess up your place. You cant even buy gum and a soda anymore for $5. I don't want anyone on my lot unless they are going to spend minimum $5 & up. Im in the business to make $$$$ not eat top ramen and give everything away for free
I agree with you completely.
The car wash isn’t supposed to be a hobby. What are your vacuums priced at?

RAAOO7

Reaction score
$2 - 6 minutes . 50 % of customers only use about 5 minutes and leave time remaining.

OurTown

Reaction score
$3 for 4min is the new Industry Standard like in 2001 it was $2.00 for 4mins. If my competition wasn’t giving it away for free at $1.50 I would be $3 myself

We have been at $3 start for several years and have a competitor that is still at $1.50 and we do well against them. I can't wrap my mind around how they are willing to stay that low with all the cost increases in the last few years.

CarWashBoy

Reaction score
$2 - 6 minutes . 50 % of customers only use about 5 minutes and leave time remaining.
Our Vacs are 3$ for 3 minutes. Avg vac revenue per customer is $5.75. been that way for over 2 years.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
We have been at $3 start for several years and have a competitor that is still at $1.50 and we do well against them. I can't wrap my mind around how they are willing to stay that low with all the cost increases in the last few years.
I Just recently went to $2.50 this summer in 2020 It was $1 when i bought the place and renovated with everything you could offer for a Self Serve and been going up since. There like the cheapest operators in the state at $1.50 and have there own market on top of everything they could charge $5 start up easy.

Last edited:

Keno

Reaction score
Depends on the area, we are at $3 for 4 mins bays and $2 for 6 mins vac. Also customer perception is to be considered also. A lot will just look at start price and not cost per minute. I know an operator that won't raise his start price because of this, and I've seen it personally. He is at $2 start for 2 mins with pay vacs, his customers still think he is "cheaper" than the guy down the road at $5 for 5 mins with free vacs.

HeyVern

Reaction score
Depends on the area, we are at $3 for 4 mins bays and $2 for 6 mins vac. Also customer perception is to be considered also. A lot will just look at start price and not cost per minute. I know an operator that won't raise his start price because of this, and I've seen it personally. He is at $2 start for 2 mins with pay vacs, his customers still think he is "cheaper" than the guy down the road at $5 for 5 mins with free vacs.
Most washes around me don't post the time only the start price. The three closest to me are $1.25 to start.

FuturaFan

Reaction score
No. We decreased ours from $3 to $2. Increased traffic after that. People don't like forgetting to put in quarters and having to put back in $3. From what I've noticed, when we had $3 start, some customers that put money in stop on the wax setting because they don't want to put in another $3. We have 1 second for 1 cent, ($0.25 for 25 seconds)