What's new

inbay door width?

Eric H

Reaction score
Should the door width for an inbay (PDQ) be 10' or 12'? 12' would be easier for the customer to get into the bay but 10' seems to be standard. Why?

soapy

Reaction score
All of mine are 10 foot and have worked fine. A wider door may seem easier but what happens is that it gives people another foot on each side to get off center. I have seen people get so far to one side of a bay that the wash has to shut down because it can't get around the car. Many people have no idea of center and a wider door will just let them get that much farther to one side or another.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Doors are a huge maintainence issue also. The smaller you make that door the less you have to lift. I have mostly tens, but a couple of twelves. If I had it to do all over again all of my doors would be 10' wide Wyndstars. I even install 8' high doors where I can get away with it. There's no benefit to a 12' wide door IMO.

Doug P.

Reaction score
I have 10's and 12's. The 10's force the customer to center up a little more which is good. The 12's provide a more open and inviting entrance. Not a bad choice either way. If you go with 12's use flags on a flexible rod or some type of traffic cone on each side to help keep people centered.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Stick with ten foot, if they cant get through a ten foot door you dont want them anywhere near the wash!