What's new

In-Bay RFID

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I know this topic has been brought up many times in the past as I did read "all" of the previous posts on it, but is anybody here doing a Unlimited Wash Pass for IBA's only if so how well is it working? as I just cannot see any profit in doing it maybe I'm wrong.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I know this topic has been brought up many times in the past as I did read "all" of the previous posts on it, but is anybody here doing a Unlimited Wash Pass for IBA's only if so how well is it working? as I just cannot see any profit in doing it maybe I'm wrong.
I can't even do it with my ACW-4, but when I was reviewing costs I was also going to have to add a 7 day a week attendant and I just couldn't make it pencil out. I am still extremely interested in it, but would need a much more cost effective solution than what is currently out there.

seattleguy

Reaction score
I am also curious about this. The tunnels around here offer unlimited washes with RFID, starting at $19.95 a month for basic wash packages. I heard that the first few months customers wash their cars a lot and then the usage slows down and the operators gets that nice recurring credit card revenue. Also heard that customers use the wash at non busy times because in their view they can always stop in, so no need to go during peak times and wait in line. Any idea what a system like XpresWash costs and how hard to hook up to Hamilton Goldline on IBA's?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Also heard that customers use the wash at non busy times because in their view they can always stop in, so no need to go during peak times and wait in line. QUOTE]

I would think this would only apply if the existing peak times were generated because of some other existing better time of day or day of week better rate.

Otherwise, it seems like the peak times would be dictated by weather or shift change at a nearby workplace or whatever. Am I missing something as to why the RFID monthly charge would make it more likely for them to choose a non busy time?

seattleguy

Reaction score
I have read that other industries that rely on "monthly unlimited usage" like tanning and gyms explain it by paying a la carte customers feel they are paying and use it whenever they want but unlimited users see the business is busy and there is a line and feel like they can always come back some other time.

mmurra

Reaction score
I have read that other industries that rely on "monthly unlimited usage" like tanning and gyms explain it by paying a la carte customers feel they are paying and use it whenever they want but unlimited users see the business is busy and there is a line and feel like they can always come back some other time.
We operate a tanning salon and a gym with unlimited use memberships. EFT memberships have been a great addition to the mix of business. The EFT membership customer expects the same service as the pay as you go customer. They are in fact paying to purchase unlimited use of the service instead of individual use of the services. Same expectations otherwise.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
The whole "Unlimited" idea has got me confused when you say "Unlimited" that means I can use a service/product as many times as I want in a single day and wash 10-15 times in a row if I wanted to versus when you tell a customer you can only wash "once a day" with your "Unlimited" pass???. Example: Our local Texas Road House offers a "Unlimited" handfuls of peanuts while you wait for your table, but the manager comes over and says "Sorry only one handful a day". So the word "Unlimited" has it's drawbacks in my mind.

seattleguy

Reaction score
The way the unlimited car washes work here is as many times as you want to go through the machine. I am sure the terms and conditions say you can't change cars. The RFID tag goes by rear view mirror. It has adhesive on it and if you try to pull it off to put on another vehicle it stops working.

Does anyone know about Xpresswash sytem?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We operate a tanning salon and a gym with unlimited use memberships. EFT memberships have been a great addition to the mix of business. The EFT membership customer expects the same service as the pay as you go customer. They are in fact paying to purchase unlimited use of the service instead of individual use of the services. Same expectations otherwise.
Mmurra & Diamond,

Just a thought, but is seems like it is possible that in some locales the customers may become the type for whatever reason (hyperactive?) ... who see a real bargain in the unlimited format for one monthly fee. When that happens ... I could envision them possibly making it more likely the "pay as you go" people may encounter that "wait in line situation" that SeattelGuy mentioned.

I suppose the anecdote to that would be to raise the monthly fee to make sure they weren't causing a loss from the pay as you go people continuing on to a less busy place. The busy-ness would be a good thing except at some point it could be a cause for concern that too many people were using the facility too much because the more attractive extra use cost them no extra amount whatsoever except for the cost of traveling to the facility. They could be driving by anyway so that might not even be a deterrent.

mike

DiamondWash

Reaction score
RFID is now not only the windshield tags but is offered as cards and key fabs. There is no way I would let a customer pay $29.95 a month and wash as much as they please everyday, start taking in account for chemical usage, water, electricity etc some people would abuse that program then they would come back and say "What's so Unlimited" about your program if I can wash only once a day.

Last edited:

bigleo48

Reaction score
I think we all mean "Conditional Unlimited Service", but I would prefer something like "Wash Every Day for $20/mth" or VIP Wash Program "Wash regularly/weekly for as low as $20/mth"

I know the newer WashPay server from Unitec would allow you to do this...even set time periods to wash (like between 8PM and 6am). So you could set something up that the customer can wash once a day/week, what wash they get or total $ amount in a SS bay. If they have a daily or weekly plan, you don't need the RFID tag, but just a fleet card. I don't think you need to care if they pass it around either, because you charge accordingly. You also deny commercial vehicle and have them sign and clearly understand that what the rules are. Then you charge them monthly via your cc online terminal. No additional fees.

You police it via you video system as you get daily reports on usage of these accounts. If there is abuse, you cancelled the card or put it inactive until the mater is resolved.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I think we all mean "Conditional Unlimited Service", but I would prefer something like "Wash Every Day for $20/mth" or VIP Wash Program "Wash regularly/weekly for as low as $20/mth"
That makes more sense to me as well...unlimited is far too subjective and "asterisks" just make people wary when they look at statements like that!

I know the newer WashPay server from Unitec would allow you to do this...even set time periods to wash (like between 8PM and 6am). So you could set something up that the customer can wash once a day/week, what wash they get or total $ amount in a SS bay. If they have a daily or weekly plan, you don't need the RFID tag, but just a fleet card. I don't think you need to care if they pass it around either, because you charge accordingly. You also deny commercial vehicle and have them sign and clearly understand that what the rules are. Then you charge them monthly via your cc online terminal. No additional fees.
I may be overly concerned, but I feel as though abuse is almost a certainty in that case. If a card can be passed around, it most surely will be.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I know of a large national chain doing it and they are very pleased with the results. In my conversations with them they said that the initial frequency use was relatively high but it gradually tapered off to a very acceptable level.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I think you need the ability to run more volume than an iba can handle to make this work in an iba. For instance...if 100 of your "members" all show up on a sunny Saturday in Feb. they will be waiting forever or may never be able to get their wash and you are losing the "paying" customers. Maybe if you could limit it to weekdays or off peak hours it would make better sense...to me anyway:confused: