What's new

In-Bay Heaters

wgwagg

Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing a few radiant tube style heaters in my autos soon. Spoke with American Garage Door supply a few days ago and I was pretty impressed with our initial conversation. Anyone have experience dealing with them? Good, Bad?

Also, do you have another company you'd recommend checking with?

TIA for the help!

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Advanced Radiant Systems (Ambi-Rad) is in the Indianapolis area. Having a supplier like that, within driving distance, can come in pretty handy when you're in a bind. Another operator in our region installed a furnace in the eq. room and ducted to the autos.

kdersch

Reaction score
Is tube fired the best way to go? Is there any advantage to infared in the auto bays? I need to replace likely one, if not both, of the auto bay heaters at a wash I am looking into buying.

wgwagg

Reaction score
Advanced Radiant Systems (Ambi-Rad) is in the Indianapolis area. Having a supplier like that, within driving distance, can come in pretty handy when you're in a bind. Another operator in our region installed a furnace in the eq. room and ducted to the autos.
I've never really considered ducting a furnace into the bay. I love the idea of having all the components inside the equipment room in a controlled environment where aren't subject to the harsh conditions of the bay.

HeyVern

Reaction score
I like the infrared radiant in my shop, not sure how the exposed heating element would stand up to wash bay conditions.

Rainway

Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing a few radiant tube style heaters in my autos soon. Spoke with American Garage Door supply a few days ago and I was pretty impressed with our initial conversation. Anyone have experience dealing with them? Good, Bad?

Also, do you have another company you'd recommend checking with?

TIA for the help!
For doors (haven't used them for heaters), American Garage Door Supply has always had consistently great customer service.

kdersch

Reaction score
For doors (haven't used them for heaters), American Garage Door Supply has always had consistently great customer service.
I can understand fast paced tunnels being interested in high speed vinyl doors, but are folks generally sticking with acrylic doors on IBA? I think the wash im looking to buy has some door issues, im just not sure if it’s the operators (which look decent from Supralift - American Garage Door) or if the doors are just worn out.

I’d like to swap the doors to get clear windows I think either way. But I’m not sure where I should end up door selection wise, especially since I’m trying to revamp to turn heads and win back business.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just bought some vinyl roll up doors from airlift. They are XRS. They have electric operators not air. They were expensive but I like them a lot.
I had 10' x 12' metal insulated overhead doors for years. I spent thousands every winter repairing and maintaining these problematic heavy doors. I okayed them when I built my wash about 16 years ago because I had no idea what I was doing. My new doors on the automatic are 10' x 10'. The operators are on the outside of the building. I think they will hold up very well and I'm looking forward to a lot less downtime and issues and headaches.

wgwagg

Reaction score
I can understand fast paced tunnels being interested in high speed vinyl doors, but are folks generally sticking with acrylic doors on IBA? I think the wash im looking to buy has some door issues, im just not sure if it’s the operators (which look decent from Supralift - American Garage Door) or if the doors are just worn out.

I’d like to swap the doors to get clear windows I think either way. But I’m not sure where I should end up door selection wise, especially since I’m trying to revamp to turn heads and win back business.
I have multiple sets of both Airlift panel doors and vinyl roll up doors. Any doors I buy moving forward will electric vinyl roll up. Our air operated doors are a constant maintenance issue throughout the winter, always an air leak somewhere, always replacing rollers, etc. There are so many more moving parts on air operated doors. My vinyl doors are pretty simple as far as number of moving parts, and they very rarely require maintenance.

DakotaHoskins

Reaction score
I 2nd American Garage door. That’s where I have purchased our last 2 tube heaters. We source our doors locally but I have always ordered the air cylinders from American.

kdersch

Reaction score
I have multiple sets of both Airlift panel doors and vinyl roll up doors. Any doors I buy moving forward will electric vinyl roll up. Our air operated doors are a constant maintenance issue throughout the winter, always an air leak somewhere, always replacing rollers, etc. There are so many more moving parts on air operated doors. My vinyl doors are pretty simple as far as number of moving parts, and they very rarely require maintenance.
The maintenance aspect is pretty big to me. That’s good insight, especially being in such a cold climate as me.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
In our cold climate ... we pretty much need to have overhead doors on both ends. The heaters in the bays are Trane with glycol going through their copper heat exchangers. The fan on each heater definitely helps to clear up the fog that inevitably happens when warm water its cold air.