What's new

Im looking at getting into the detailing business or another business

WikiWash

Reaction score
I have room at my location to open a detailing shop next to my car wash. I have been thinking about ideas to generate more revenue and detailing is one of them. I have no detailing experience except for cleaning my own vehicles. Is this something I can learn from doing research online and with trial and error to improve my skills? Are there detailing companies that offer detailing schools for people who want to get into the business? Is this a good idea? Should I maybe work for a detailler to learn about the business? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also is there something besides detailing that I can do with my space? Looking for ideas.

Mbalboni

Reaction score
I added a Detailing program to our CarWash a year and half ago, I had some background but I teamed up with a national detail line and they gave me the training i needed. I then hired a few attendants/detailers and trained them the way i was trained. with marketing to our current customers only we have generated a significant chunk of change these last 18 months. I have wicked OCD so after my guys are done i still spend another 20-30min touching up :)

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
With no experience I would definitely check out Bud at Detail Plus.
He has everything you need, help in learning and how to equip/build a detail shop.
I am no way associated with them, just like the way he sets up a detail shop within a car wash.

http://www.detailplus.com/

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“I have been thinking about ideas to generate more revenue and detailing is one of them…..Is this a good idea?”

The same the logic I suggested in your other thread also applies to this thread.

http://www.autocareforum.com/showthread.php?13318-How-do-I-know-what-kind-of-car-wash-to-build

“Also is there something besides detailing that I can do with my space?”

This is question of highest and best use. To determine this, you would need to calculate highest and use as carwash site and then compare this to possible alternative uses.

I use net operating income per square feet.

For example, when I operated high volume carwash in Atlanta, we averaged 25 express detail services a day and 2.5 full-service details.

Express detail NOI per SF was $58 and full-service detail NOI was $25 per SF.

Express detail requires a minor investment and full-service requires modest investment.

Then there are qualitative aspects to consider.

Express detail is quick, is high volume, requires two people per car but knowledge and level of skills required is low. So, it’s relatively easy to cross-train carwash staff.

Full-service takes longer, is low volume, only one person needed per car but knowledge and level of skills required is much greater.

Experienced detailers tend to be prima donnas and difficult to teach and supervise. Conversely, it takes a lot of time (and money) to train and groom carwash staff as detailer.

http://www.carwashmag.com/home/arti...-center/fe3c103f850ee1bd10309bf9f826361f.html

Here’s an article in Auto Laundry News that discusses additional profit centers.

Hope this helps.