What's new

IDX “personality plug”

Eric H

Reaction score
I’ve been having an issue with a IDX MA-800 acceptor rejecting all coins. I replaced the acceptor but not the plug and that didn’t help. I then replaced the “personality plug” with an old unused one I had on the shelf for several years. I did have to reprogram it but it worked for a few hours before rejecting every coin again. I replaced the personality plug with another new one that was also several years old with the same result. Worked for a while and then quit. Do the plugs have an intergrated battery that stores the memory? When the battery dies will the 24v from the transformer NOT keep the memory stored?

I replaced with a Slugbuster 2 while I wait for a MicroCoin acceptor to arrive. I need to accept quarters, dollar coins and tokens.

(I’ll quietly wait for Pat to declare how much he hates IDX acceptors)

Randy

Reaction score
I’ve been having an issue with a IDX MA-800 acceptor rejecting all coins. I replaced the acceptor but not the plug and that didn’t help. I then replaced the “personality plug” with an old unused one I had on the shelf for several years. I did have to reprogram it but it worked for a few hours before rejecting every coin again. I replaced the personality plug with another new one that was also several years old with the same result. Worked for a while and then quit. Do the plugs have an intergrated battery that stores the memory? When the battery dies will the 24v from the transformer NOT keep the memory stored?

I replaced with a Slugbuster 2 while I wait for a MicroCoin acceptor to arrive. I need to accept quarters, dollar coins and tokens.

(I’ll quietly wait for Pat to declare how much he hates IDX acceptors)
Eric, the best thing you can do is TOSS the MA-800 or any other IDX product you have in the nearest dumpster. Once upon a time they were a pretty good product but not anymore.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't recall a battery on the "personality plug," but I have had the same issue with them unlearning all the coins. This was on brand new units shipped in Fragramatics combo vacs. I spent a whole day reprogramming and testing five or six units trying to get them to stay working. The problem was never solved even after sending the units back to IDX twice. They don't even repair the MA-800 anymore, so unfortunately you're out of luck.

Randy

Reaction score
There is no battery in the MA-800 or the X-10 personality plug. If anyone wants a box of MA-800 coin acceptors I'll give you a smoke'n deal.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I have a ton of IDX acceptors but I have no idea what the hell a personality plug is? Inquiring minds want to know.

Randy

Reaction score
I have a ton of IDX acceptors but I have no idea what the hell a personality plug is? Inquiring minds want to know.
Open the side cover of the coin acceotor and you'll see the plug that plugs the harness onto the main board, it has the wires on it that connect to the coin acceptor.

Jsshac

Reaction score
The guy doesn’t even own a Carwash! How is he allowed in here?
I had a problem with some new units don’t know if it what you are seeing. Had 2 stop accepting coins even after reprogramming. What I did was put a zip tie around the door you can open up and the problem stopped. After that fixed my problem I switched to Velcro so it was easier to get at and open the door.