What's new

IDX MA850 madness and tire clean turn on itself

n00bie

Reaction score
So I bought a new ma850 and it worked for a month. It registers coin but coin comes out of the returning hole (free car was Yay!). I play around and reset few times, and sometimes it works but mostly it does not (coin registers but returning). And now on that same bay, a lot of time the tire clean keeps come out itself. All of this happens at the same time.😕

MEP001

Reaction score
The tire cleaner issue is because of debris in the solenoid. The coin acceptor's gate is stuck or the gate coil is bad. IDX is junk.

n00bie

Reaction score
That's what I thought MEP because it happened before. But when I open the solenoid, soap water squirts out and it looks clean. The plunger still looks "new", maybe I'll try to swap new plunger see how it goes.
Yeah, it frequently needs to be fixed/adjusted to get it working properly. I'll take a look at it
Thanks MEP

n00bie

Reaction score
So the solenoid is debris free. I changed the new plunger, but tire clean still runs on it's own here and then. So let's say bay 3 has tire clean problem. When bay 4 running HP soap, bay 3 the solenoid (dema 401p.6) for both tire clean and presoak where the main airline hooks in to go to the flotjet is also turn on same time. Is the dema 401p.6 bad? Or something with wiring?

Edit: Test bay 3 tire clean, solenoid of presoak is also on. Bay 4 HP soap solenoid also turns on ( HP soap outside remains close).

As for coin acceptor, I think I'll go with Slugbuster 2 like a lot of other has mentioned. Is it wire differently than IDX?

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
It's something in the wiring. I think you have multiple problems causing this. It's going to be something relatively simple. Follow the low voltage wires and make sure nothing looks obviously wrong at any of the junctions.

If you aren't taking tokens or dollar coins, I'd recommend a Sensortron.

n00bie

Reaction score
So as for the bay 4's HP soap caused bay 3's tire clean to come out, I found a darn dime stuck in the corner of the rotary switch of bay 4. After picking it out, the problem is gone (so far).
Now for bay 3. Yeah, something is wrong w/ wiring on bay 3. When tire clean is turned on, both of the tire clean and presoak dema 401p solenoid turn on. When I am on tire clean, I can see green tire clean come out, but then presoak dominated over tire clean. The presoak's flojet is pumping faster. I don't see any suspicious wiring at junctions. However, the rotary switch is loose, I did tried to open it to get it tighter. I don't think I did any damage to wiring or put it back wrong. Still, I think I should replace it?
Is this the right one? https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-3980-kleen-rite-8-position-2-stack-rotary-switch.aspx

Is this the right Sensortron?

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score

MEP001

Reaction score
FWIW I posted a poll and more people voted Sensortron over Slugbuster I.

Slugbuster II will take a dollar coin and give a single quarter credit, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. You have to put a screw in it to keep it closed, defeating the whole EZ thing. If someone tries a token or foreign coin enough times in a Slugbuster II, it will eventually knock its way through the gate and into the safe. I bought a Slugbuster III just to NOT take dollar coins and still occasionally find one in the vault.

Randy

Reaction score
Over the years we've tried just about every coin acceptor made and have gone back to the Slugbuster. We have stickers on our coin boxes that state "US Quarters only", if someone is stupid enough to put in a dollar coin that's on them. If they call and bitch we tell them to read what it says on the top of the coin box. It's no big deal to remove the small screw to pop open the EZ door and clear a coin jam, we get very few coin jams, 8 a year out of 60 Slugbusters we have installed.

On a side note, I have a bill changer customer who was having nothing but problems with his IDX coin acceptors jamming up with every coin you can thing of. He wedged open the coin shoe on the side of the coin acceptor so everything that is inserted into the coin acceptor will drop into the coin box, they aren't getting credit they just drop down into the coin box, pennies, nickels, dimes, the only coin that gets credited is a US Quarter and his token.

MEP001

Reaction score
When I last used IDX acceptors, coin jams was the only problem I did NOT have. I still won't ever use them again.

I have almost no coin jam problems with Slugbuster II since I removed the coin cups. People kept loading them full of nickels and dimes until it filled the reject path.

Overachiever

Reaction score
I use Magikist SecureCoin and never had a jam but its picky with how fast you send the quarters down the slot, rejects them if you push them in too quickly.

Still have a couple IDX that still work but they definitely jam a lot.

MEP001

Reaction score
I tried a SecureCoin and it has worked perfectly with no jams.

n00bie

Reaction score
Thank you guys! Just a little update that problem was fixed by replacing new rotary switch. I also bought both Sensortron and Slugbuster II coin acceptor to test them out. Hopefully I have good luck on them. And what the heck, they are far cheaper than IDX trash too.