What's new

Identify debris found in solenoid valves ?

Reds

Reaction score
I have a JCC WW2.0 that is just one year old. When it was 6 months old I found a piece of white plastic that was holding open the solenoid valve in the high pressure cabinet (passenger side) on the gantry. Now, on the same machine I found another piece holding open the undercarriage solenoid, which caused the UC to run whenever any high pressure function was on. Both pieces that I found were only small pieces of some part, about 3/8" long by 1/4" wide. They are white, and match the diameter of a nickel very closely, but are a little thicker than a nickel. They also have some 1/8" holes (spacing looks like 4 holes) around the outer portion of this part. It looks very much like a white button, including the 4 holes to sew it on, but bigger than a shirt button. It's not the plastic seat that is in the DEMA solenoid because that has only one hole in the middle. It has to be coming from upstream, and since the UC solenoid is only 2 feet from the cat 3535 I have to wonder if it is some part from the pump. I have never been inside a 3535 so have no idea if it could be from the pump. Any ideas what this piece could be from?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I believe I have the same pump, but haven't pulled it apart ever. You're probably right that it's coming from upstream somewhere. Pull out the manual for the pump and find an exploded view to see if you can identify it. Maybe part of a valve?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I just looked in the manual and didn't see any parts in the head that look like that. Is there something else between the pump outlet and the valve that may have come apart? I have had the innards of a check valve blow through before. The parts made it all the way to the tips in the automatic bay.

MEP001

Reaction score
The valve back-up rings are much larger than what is described, and don't have small holes in them. When they blow out, not only will the pump run rough but all you'll find downstream is a thin plastic strip, not any round disk.

Could this part you're finding be a portion of the solenoid itself? I've seen some seats come out of a large solenoid that sounds similar to what you describe.