What's new

Ideas that set your wash apart

Chiefs

Reaction score
Just looking for some ideas that you have been successful for you in distinguishing your wash from others in your area.

Some of the things we've done are; Handing out litter bags and moist, disposable towels; Frequent Washer Cards (buy 10, 11th free); Discount book washes (5 for $35), Monthly Club Card ($50 - wash any day for 30 days), Club Card Jr. ( $30 - wash any Mon-Thurs only and $2.00 off Fri-Sun. );Bi-annual newsletters (Fall/Winter, Spring/Summer) that educate customers about their cars, our car wash and specials; Employees in uniform, Keep the place clean inside and out; Landscaping; Sponsoring high school sports and local little league; Advertise in 5 area community calendars which go out to every household in those school districts; Oh, and of coure, give every custromer our best effort every time they wash.

What has worked for you in building relationships in your community and keeping you at the top of their list when people think of where to wash their vehicle?

dclark3344

Reaction score
We have 2 realtor size signs that read "Checked your tire pressure Lately?" the other side "FREE AIR save gas" We have FREE kiddie rides. We put a $1 token on the back of every eighth vending item costing a dollar or more. I also have a decal on every machine that states " We care about our customers satisfaction comments or concerns Please call David xxx-xxx-xxxx which is my cell phone. I would rather make a trip to take care of a customer than to repair torn up equip from someone that felt they were ripped off.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 'spiffs' for my customers include:

~free towel dry station

~occasional wheel cleaner from my detail arsenal

~little tree, customer litterbag, paper floor mat in detail cars

~free token on random vending items.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
We are also doing the carwash lotto with our vending and in our super bay. Our current promotion is to have our customers sign up to be a fan on our facebook page and once we have 100 fans, we will be drawing a name and giving them a years worth of tokens. I think that regardless of the type of business you have, you have to interact with your customers as much as possible. That is my whole ambition for the facebook idea.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Free air reshener with top package. Best part they are custom imprinted with my locations. Luv to see cars with the "Reminder" haging from the mirror. In a service business, nice to have the customer keep a tangible reminder of the service they got. Custom litter bags do the same thing.

Speed of service. People know that if they are 8 cars back in line (Assuming everything goes well.) They will be out the door in 5 minutes. Especialy important for commercial drivers.

buda

Reaction score
Setting Your Wash Apart

All of those ideas are great, but what I have found works the best in setting your wash apart from competitors is the following:

a. The highest quality wash, everytime the customer comes in.
b. Consistent time - that is the customer is through the tunnel the same
amount of time from entrance to exit.
c. Same consistent service everytime they come in.
d. Reasonable price for the wash. Not reasonable price after you have added
on all the options, claiming you are giving them value.

Every operator I have seen who operates this was has to do nothing else.

Regards

bigleo48

Reaction score
I agree with Buda, we just try harder and when the level of service is going down everywhere and my competitors level of effort is much lower, it seems to really help. Don't get me wrong, the little stuff like free air-fresheners ans sponsoring teams help, I believe that the customers are mostly just happy to have a clean reliable carwash that actually does a good job washing their car. Then price and location.

Hey bubbles...Big Lebowski is one of my favorite movies! "Don't mess with the jesus!"

BigLeo

Chiefs

Reaction score
Bud,

With all due respect (I love that phrase except for the fact it leaves the one word off - I'll let you fill in the blank Bud).

Question, does the "highest quality wash" also refer to all your customers who do not buy your best wash package? As we all know, the menu style format is deliberately intended to get most customers to upgrade from your basic wash to your better or best wash packages. Except with this format comes complete commissioned salespeople trying to upsell/pressure people into buying the higher packages that are anywhere from $3, $5, $7 up to $10 or more above the base and attempt to do it to them every time they come in for a car wash. The fact that all operators know is that those on-line extra services cost just pennies to put on and gives as much protection until the next time it rains - if that.

At least I'm not disingenuous, my attendants do not have to be on commission and no one tries to push customers into buying all those extra services in your "value packages" that cost less than 50 cents to put on. You know what the difference is between a wash that averages $8,50 per car with 3-4 different packages and one that offers one wash for one price and avergaes $8.50? SIMPLICITY and honesty vs. complexity and deception.

Unlike you Bud every one of our customers does receive our best wash every time they come in - not just when they buy into the "menu style wash con game. At least I'm honest enough with them to price the wash such that the person who comes in 4 times a year pays ful price and those loyal customers receive a discount in exchange for their loyalty.

Last edited:

dclark3344

Reaction score
Buda and Big,
It is a shame that doing the standard "sets your wash apart" I would think that anybody on here is at least doing that. The truth is most owners would not bother to look on here, or do the basics that you mentioned, therefore making your statements correct. I think the poster was looking for thinking outside the box to catch more attention and loyalty.

Chiefs

Reaction score
DClark:

You would be correct, I was looking for thinking outside the box as to what others are doing - besides the standard - which should be obvious to all who come in here. A condescening attitude like Buds was not even close to an appropriate response.

You know when my father was in the business everyone helped each other. It seems like today some are more interested in guarding their success stories or knocking the success of others rather than sharing what works so that we can advance the industry forward in the eyes of the motoring public.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think what's important is to get creative as well as reach out to the community you serve.

My church giveaway/youth sponsorship was a huge hit!

A wash I know of shut down for much of the winter due to the high cost of floor heat vs. revenue. The place is very run down.

Unfortunately, many washes do not offer hot water, rich chemicals and a clean atmosphere.

IMO, if you want to wow customers, you need to strive for something fantastic. It begins with a great carwash at a fair price. It expands from there.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I've been listening to the keynote speakers at the conventions for years and in the old days, their message was that you needed to WOW the customer, now their message is that if you just do what you promise, that it will WOW the customer. It is sad that especially big business, does such a poor job in delivering what they promise you. I just was ****ed off with the transaction with Turbo tax and their audit protection offer. You couldn't have made the registration process more complex and stupid. They take your money in a heartbeat, then it requires 2 days of emails and questions to get your certificate, acknowledging that you actually have the service if needed. I'm thinking that its just another scam that you better hope that you don't need to use.

My suggestion is that if you make each decision with the thought that you will be here in ten years running your business, you will make the right decision. Give people what you would want/expect from someone else. Of course, price it so you make a profit.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bud A:

I am surprised you didn't even touch on setting your carwash apart by having a detail shop onsite!

This aspect has proven ideal at my carwash and it seems that every day I make a new connection with a customer who needs and wants and can benefit from both services and express aftercare in between. I thought detailing was your thing; you had the perfect opportunity to share what you've learned and done and I wonder why you chose not to?