What's new

Ideal equipment room length and width.

MudMoney

Reaction score
I'm building new 3 bay self serve with iba behind my existing ss.This wash won't share any services with existing wash. Over the years I've rehab 4 other washes and never had an equipment room big enough. So if other owners had an ideal equipment room ,what size would you build. I might expand to another iba in the future.

MEP001

Reaction score
My wash's room is pretty big, I think 25 x 20', big enough that I plan to build a small air-conditioned office in a cubbyhole at the front. It was built with the plan of adding an automatic, not sure why because there's no possible way to do that with the layout. My chemicals are all in 30 and 55 gallon barrels and there's still a ton of room, and I'll have even more once I cut up and remove the boiler that was destroyed by the freeze.

Roz

Reaction score
It can never be big enough. Easier to have too much space than too little.....especially if you expand or convert a SS bay to an IBA in the future.

MEP001

Reaction score
MEPOO1
How high is your ceiling ?
Not quite high enough. The ceiling is about 14', but I had thought about building a loft for storage. The purlins come down about 12" so there won't be enough room to walk.

MudMoney

Reaction score
I'm really considering a loft also and a bathroom. I figure 40 ft x 16 ft wide to park my skidsteer with inside change and vending room.My current wash has inside changer and vending ,really cuts down on the weather factor. Winter here is 8 months it seems.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I had one that was about 20' x 33'. I had a 7' x 10' office, a toilet room about 3' x 5', a loft around about 60% of the room, 7 bays of SS equipment, and 3 auto bays. I had things thought out when building the place and wouldn't let the equipment installers deviate from my plan unless that had a pretty compelling reason, other than "This is the way we always do it." They pretty much did everything like I wanted and it all worked out fine. We ended up with plenty of room to work on anything. The biggest gain in room was putting the RO and RO reject tanks on top of the office.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I have always wanted a Extrutech/Trusscore in the equipment room walls before equipment with Central heating & Air and many many many lights shinning down on equipment to see what your working on 😁 A Toilet is a must

Reactions: APW

MudMoney

Reaction score
Any thoughts on long trench drain vs 3 to5 center drains.Seems like when there is major leak center drains can not keep up.

mac

Reaction score
Swamp, trench drains are the only way to go. It makes the cement finisher’s job much easier. Every room with center floor drains I’ve ever seen had low spots by the walls.

MudMoney

Reaction score
Mac
Thanks for the reply, got any other suggestions to add to eq room during construction. Already have 10 ft roll up door ,double sink, bathroom.

APW

Reaction score
I would run some conduit from one side of the equipment room to the other and from one end to the other just for future it's easier to pull wire than having to go up and overhead. I even run spare PVC lines when I cut out concrete just in case I want to add air or water somewhere else later on.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
My ER is 35x18 I think. This includes a small office and bathroom. The back side of the vendors and changers are in a locked closet that you access through the bathroom. This is nice, it's a good place to put stuff you don't want to go missing

Install a 4" PVC Chase in the ER floor to get hoses from one side to the other without going overhead.

In the bays make sure the concrete guy brooms the concrete towards the drain- it will make for easier washdown.

Install way more light in the ER than you think you'll need.

MEP001

Reaction score
I want to "like" each of those lines separately.

MudMoney

Reaction score
APW and GREG

Great suggestions to my plans.Anybody else about building a dream equipment room ?