What's new

ICS Tunnel Master Jr Output Timing Issue

hkim310

Reaction score
We are using an ICS Tunnel Master Jr. controller. We are experiencing timing issues only when cars are sent back to back through the wash tunnel. If one car is sent one at a time with a space between cars (like on a slow day), all of the outputs turn on and off at the right time. On busy days when we send cars back to back, outputs are turning on to soon and turning off to early. Has anyone else experienced time this type of issue? Any recommendations?

Jerry

Reaction score
Maybe your photo eye needs cleaning? Take a couple Q-tips and clean all lenses. Usually when I have those issues my lenses are a little Cloudy from soap and overspray. When you do find a fix, please post it here thx.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
We are using an ICS Tunnel Master Jr. controller. We are experiencing timing issues only when cars are sent back to back through the wash tunnel. If one car is sent one at a time with a space between cars (like on a slow day), all of the outputs turn on and off at the right time. On busy days when we send cars back to back, outputs are turning on to soon and turning off to early. Has anyone else experienced time this type of issue? Any recommendations?
Are you speeding up the conveyor on those busy days?

hkim310

Reaction score
No we are running the same speed. I have contacted ICS tech support and they have not been able to solve this problem. The timing of the outputs works perfectly when 1 vehicle is going through the wash but when we are busy and sending cars back to back, the timing gets messed up and things start to turn on too early and turn off too soon. I've noticed that is seems to happen about half way through the tunnel whereas the first 50% from the entrance the outputs fire at the right time. Any idea on why you think this could be happening?

TEEBOX

Reaction score
No we are running the same speed. I have contacted ICS tech support and they have not been able to solve this problem. The timing of the outputs works perfectly when 1 vehicle is going through the wash but when we are busy and sending cars back to back, the timing gets messed up and things start to turn on too early and turn off too soon. I've noticed that is seems to happen about half way through the tunnel whereas the first 50% from the entrance the outputs fire at the right time. Any idea on why you think this could be happening?
Unfortunatly, I cannot. If ICS can't answer that for you then that is very sad! I have both Jr. and Sr. They have been pretty responsive to my needs. I do have to make adjust to applications when I speed up the track.

hkim310

Reaction score
Teebox, why do you have to make manual adjustments when you speed up the conveyor? Does the Sr. work differently then the Jr.? To my understanding with the Jr. if the pulse length is calculated correctly, the TMJ should self adjust when you speed up or slow down the conveyor and all outputs should fire at the correct time. The pulse (clock light) is suppose to speed up or slow down per the speed of the conveyor and self adjust accordingly.

JustaGuy

Reaction score
I do have to make adjust to applications when I speed up the track.
You should not need to do that. If the pulse is working properly and the software is working properly, necessary changes to timing of equipment because of changes to the conveyor speed should be handled automatically. What kind of pulse are you using? Have you enabled Auto Pulse inadvertently perhaps?

hkim310

Reaction score
I verified that I do not have auto pulse enabled on the TMJ. We are using a Sonnys Hydrapulse timer and have been using this type of pulse switch for the last 10+ years. We had never had this type of issue but recently re-calculated our pulse length and updated some wash settings (min car length, max car length, anti bounce, etc) and noticed that this issue had arisen. We hooked up a scope to the pulse switch and were able to identify EXACTLY the on/off time of our pulse timer (730 milliseconds / 835 milliseconds) and will verify that we have calculated the pulse length correctly. I will report back one we have identified the solution to this issue.

JustaGuy

Reaction score
Does the Hydrapulse output vary depending on conveyor load? If not, since you've confirmed that you aren't using the auto pulse and have verified your Sonnys Hydrapulse is working properly, it sure looks like the issue is squarely in ICS's court. Please do let us know what the ultimate solution is.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
In my experience there are issues with remote pulse where viscosity and load fluctuations will cause hydraulic fluid by pass at different rates in the drive motor versus the remote pulse motor. The only way you will know if it's that is to put the pulse switch at the sprocket. Post # 4 indicates that the loaded conveyor slows down a tad more than the remote pulse under load. This makes the controller think the car is further along than it is and you have an early activation / off. As the car progresses down the conveyor the discrepancy continues to grow.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
You should not need to do that. If the pulse is working properly and the software is working properly, necessary changes to timing of equipment because of changes to the conveyor speed should be handled automatically. What kind of pulse are you using? Have you enabled Auto Pulse inadvertently perhaps?
Sorry I was out of town.

I look into that, thank you