What's new

Ice buildup in wand holders

Dirt

Laser Blade
Reaction score
If it's cold enough for long enough, weep water will make ice build up in my wand holders. One time there was so much it blocked the nozzle and froze the bay up.
Other than dumping rock salt in them, or doing the blow torch thing, does any one have any ideas how to prevent this from happening.
Thanks, Ben.

Attachments

Reds

Reaction score
I am having the exact same problem and would love to know if anyone has found a cure. In the spring I am going to change the angle of my wand holders to make them closer to vertical, in the hope that the water will run down them further before freezing. One other thing that I notice is that some people don't put the wand all the way back in the holder and I think this makes the ice start building up higher in the tube. I hope that by making them stand more upright the wand will fall into them further. Just a thought.

Kirb

Reaction score
My wand holders are vertical and I don’t have this problem. I have had this happen when the swivel connected to the wand was leaking and dripping on the holder.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Mine are vertical too. I do get some buildup on my nozzle protectors, but I just knock them out. *crosses fingers* No freeze-ups yet.

dclark3344

Reaction score
Do you think wrapping the holders in that 3/8 inch thick black pipe insulation would work?

MEP001

Reaction score
You could weep warm water, or consider an antifreeze purge. I've always wondered if you could get enough air through the line to get it clear so it wouldn't freeze, but I'm sure a little would always settle in the lowest point of the hose - maybe a blow-down, a short shot of antifreeze, then another blowdown would do the trick and be more cost-effective.

DavidM

Reaction score
Weeping warm water will prevent this. We use weep mizers and weep such a small amount of water that the added cost is not significant. With warm water you can decrease the volume of water you are weeping as well as controlling the time with the weep mizer.

David