What's new

IBA to (mini) tunnel conversions?

Etowah

gearhead

Reaction score
Looking to get some feedback from anyone who has take the plunge and made the switch. Are you glad you did it? Would you have done anything different? Was it worth it and has business improved?

pgrzes

Reaction score
I went from a 46' underperforming express tunnel to a IBA 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Washed 20k last year, was averaging about 12k cars per year for 45 yrs. If you want the agg of labor and damage claims go for the tunnel. My question is how many cars are you washing now? Whats your competition around you like? Do you have the demand and volume for an express? I was told I was making a big mistake, but it worked well and I am happy. I make more visits to wash the before, But the only time I am putting in 9-10 hour days is when there is a breakdown!! 1 worker daily for a couple hours and I do about 15-20 hours a week. There is no real easy answer, some will tell you that you have to do this or that because thats the model!!! I say BULL****, it depends on your needs, area, demand etc. etc.....

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I’ve had some clients take the plunge and others not.

The why not’s were mostly because of capital cost, loan pay-off/recovery of equity and commitment to business model.

Sanity test

1) Need to wash additional 14,000 cars a year just to cover investment
2) Need to hire 2 to 3 full-time employees
3) Figure $18,000 a year or more for marketing program

Worth question is difficult. Reason is many conversions are gas sites.

However, consider that many self-serve owners do not have a realistic exit strategy.

By repositioning the business (i.e. conversion), owners can better define an exit strategy, relate it to the industry model and create wealth from it.

mac

Reaction score
Interesting discussion. Especially about the additional labor and time commitment. There is obviously a market for both, but my guess is that the majority of operators here with a mix of self serve and automatic(s) will not find it attractive. With the automatics now, we are getting 20+ cars per hour by a simple modification.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
From my experience a lot depends on the site. Most IBA's are not built to handle an express due to lot configuration. Many also do not either have the sufficient visibility, traffic count or demographics to support one.

Etowah

gearhead

Reaction score
No self serves here. I have the room (just over an acre) I currently have 3 touch free IBAs. Would like to pull one and add friction. I know of the option mac speaks of but would have to lengthen bay to get the 20+ CPH. I am currently doing my due diligence to see which of my options is indeed feasible. I was looking more for owners feedback that have taken on this type of change over and if things went according to plan and if they were glad they made the change. But all opinions on the subject are very much appreciated.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
You might want to talk to Marc Wilson, the Executive Director of the SECWA. He has converted two or three autos to short tunnels.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
It's going to be dependant on site and local competition. Marc Wilson is doing quite well with a location he converted from a 5/1 to an express in a relatively small town. Tim Jones in Nashville has also done several conversions and would be worth talking to.

Marc would be your best resource as he is the exucutive director of SECWA and knows what's going on in the region.

mac

Reaction score
ACA, I'm using Istobal machines that have been modified so that the gantry does only the basic cleaning, with maybe a wheel scrub. Then the car drives through fixed arches for wax, RO, and dry.