What's new

IBA question

carwashkid22

Reaction score
Washworld High velocity operator here. I know it is in the same “generation” as PDQ 4000 with many things being identical. Now comparing that generation of machine to the “next-gen” Razor and LW 360, what are the real benefits of upgrading? Simplification/easier to operate? Speed? Because once you get a 4000 or HV dialed in they are great machines! I am wondering what the main focus was to improve the concept.

mac

Reaction score
Like any other system, the manufacturers almost always try to improve things.

JLanman

Reaction score
Can't really comment on the performance differences, but I know there were changes to the I/O. Especially from the older 4000's. Basically upgraded electronics (at least the items we interface with).

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can tell you that my new Razor is better than the 15 y.o. Superior Sidetrac in many ways. The speed is the first thing I noticed. When i heard about 6 minute( and less) wash times, I thought it was impossible. My old machine was 8+ minutes for my top package); RaZOR IS 5:36. There is a production arch on the machine which allows for product application in one front to rear or rear to front motion. The machine can apply product front to rear then rinse from rear to front. The machine connects to the internet, so you can access it remotely. The Spectraray lighting package is fully programmable and acts as a 24/7 advertising method. AWESOME! The electronics / display screen is an easy to navigate touchscreen. Makes it easy to see wash counts, trends, temperatures, faults, etc. These are just a few reasons why the Razor is excellent. There are many more!

It's kind of like the improvements in vehicles. Yes, the car from 15 years ago still can get you from a to b, but the modern advancements keep customers buying new.

My new Razor is priced at $16,18,20,22 and from what I have seen from just a couple weeks of running, it is a major game-changer for my wash.

DavidM

Reaction score
We upgrade for 3 main reasons.

1) speed - if the wash is busy (running at max capacity for too many days of the year) a new machine can pay for itself in increased business. We should learn from the tunnel guys as well, the faster the service, the more washes you will do. Customers hate to wait.
2) remote resets - The ability of a machine to reset itself and/or be reset remotely saves trips and downtime.
3) repairs - the repairs get more frequent and more expensive as the machine gets older

A 4000 or High Velocity probably cleans as well as a new Razor or Laserwash but much slower. If you are washing less than 10,000 cars per year, probably not going to gain as much. If washing 15 -20k, speed is important

David

soonermajic

Reaction score
These guys make some great points. I had a 9 yr old LW360 w/ 100k washes, 35cpd avg.
I crunched the #'s & thought it a no brainer.

Boy was i correct. After 7 mos, Im @,42cpd, but biggest increase is NO DOWNTIME, or REPAIRS & i went from $7,8 9 to $9, $11, $13 w/ very lil blowback. I do think $13 is max here though.
My throughput is amazing. Lw360 was 6:10 w/ onboard dryers. Now, w/ stand alone dryers & utilyzing Razors new technology. IM @ 4:20 & stand alone dryers, then LOUD voice prompt to EXIT....EXIT gets them the off their phone & outta there!
I also got SpectraRay & i use it as such: Solid green on 1st pass "Bug A'salt", solid Blue on 2 pass PS, flashing LEDs on hp rinse, Solid Magenta on 3x foam (makes it pop better), hp rinse, Solid Red on Ceramic Wax, Solid Blue on SFR. Just an AWESOME presentation & gaining much more night business.
When Pollen season hits & I have a full yr, I suspect I can be upper 40s cpd...

slash007

Reaction score
If you really want throughput, get a Petit. Costs much more, but it's way faster if getting dual pumps.