What's new

IBA - Open and Close Temperatures & getting through the winter

WashSingh

Reaction score
Hi there,

Im based in the Northeastern area, and we've been having some really cold weather come through here the past few weeks. I currently operate a friction IBA (Older Ryko Softgloss), and unfortunately my doors either stay open or closed throughout the day. Current temperature is 22 degrees, feels like 4 degrees. Are any of you in the same boat? What are your IBA operating temps, if you don't have doors that close during washes. I have a heat tube in the bay, but there's only so much it can do once the doors are opened.

Thanks in advance.

Randy

Reaction score
I would shut it down until it warmed up.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I would get your Ryko Service Dept a call, There is a D timer that has to be set for the doors to open or close at a certain temperature there is no reason you should endanger your equipment or your customers vehicles.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Hi there,

Im based in the Northeastern area, and we've been having some really cold weather come through here the past few weeks. I currently operate a friction IBA (Older Ryko Softgloss), and unfortunately my doors either stay open or closed throughout the day. Current temperature is 22 degrees, feels like 4 degrees. Are any of you in the same boat? What are your IBA operating temps, if you don't have doors that close during washes. I have a heat tube in the bay, but there's only so much it can do once the doors are opened.

Thanks in advance.
I’ve worked for several companies with stores located in cold climate and each had different policies and procedures for opening and closing.

Reasons were value proposition (i.e. open rain or shine, 7-days a week), building design, people showing up for work, energy costs, breakdowns, and others. That’s the supply side.

On demand side, what is probability customers will show up when one day zero feels like + 20 degrees and next day zero feels like – 20.

In Atlanta, two inches of snow will bring the city almost to a halt. In N.Y., people wash in mass as soon as slush dries up. In Clearwater, people won’t go to carwash if its 45 degrees and sunny. In Portland, people wash when it’s cold and drizzling.

So, when do people stop showing up at your wash?

Let’s say its zero, sunny, and no one shows up for eight hours. That would do it for me.

On the other hand, if you can wash 25 or 30 cars or so, you don’t want to disappoint by being closed.

soapy

Reaction score
Not all Rykos are ordered with the door control kits. You might have to add it to your system. Watch your friction material and make sure you are not getting ice built up on it when operating. It will scratch cars if you have ice on the brushes.