What's new

IBA Installation costs

washregal

Reaction score
Getting quotes to install an IBA - The numbers vary all over the place - Installing - New Softner / RO / IBA and Paystation.
Do you think the following is outrageous or inline:

Plumbing $4,500.00
Electrical $8,250.00
Installation $19,250.00
Freight $3,800.00

How long should this project take - rip out old, install new and haul away? Should I incorporate a liquidated damages clause for any time over a certain date? The banks clock is ticking day (1). Thinking I also need to incorporate exact amount - not to exceed when I write the PO..

mac

Reaction score
Need a little more information before I can answer this.
1. Does the bay have an older automatic in it now? If so, is removal included?
2. What exactly does the install cost cover? Building a kiosk for the paystation will add to things. Any concrete work or building modifications?
3. Which automatic is it? There's a big difference between a simple inverted "L" and a short tunnell.
Does the electric part include bringing a bigger service to the place?
Good points about a not to exceed value. This should be a quote, not a guestimate. And make sure he isn't paid until the installation is complete and he does a good walk through with you. Install time will vary all over the place. How many people will he have on site? I generally figure on a good week to remove an old one and put in a new one. I have seen times when a company sent one guy and he took a month or so. It's easy to build in a nice cushion in the install if you beat him up on the purchase price. And if he is charging that much for water and elec. he needs to pull permits.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
A demo to tear out a automatic to just the brick work all hardware in bay & pump stand in equipment room should take one day with 2 guys that know what there doing with a forklift and cordless impact drivers. No problem. That's in just my personal experience not a tunnel just IBA. Good luck give us some more detail like Mac said do you have to pour concrete add on the existing building, new air compressor,hot water, permits,bigger breaker panel. Tell us what kind you have now and what your replacing it with new.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I think all your prices are about 50% higher than what they should be!

washregal

Reaction score
Ok here I go:

The old unit that does need to be taken out is a Pro Navigator -
Installing Washworld Razor
I am paying a separate contractor for the floor heat and mason work on the paystation - so no -No additional work there.
No permitting on either plumbing or electric - existing machine - should be a fairly smooth retrofit.
What should I look for or request in terms of terms.. 10 % down etc... I dont want to put all the money in this until the machine is operating.. If I puke out all the cash up front I have zero leverage if any issues. Also seeing 2 yr warranty, 2 yr service agreement parts and Labor on the Razor - anyone else seeing this?

Etowah

BBE

Reaction score
Ok here I go:

I am paying a separate contractor for the floor heat and mason work on the paystation - so no -No additional work there.
No permitting on either plumbing or electric - existing machine - should be a fairly smooth retrofit.
What should I look for or request in terms of terms.. 10 % down etc... I dont want to put all the money in this until the machine is operating.. If I puke out all the cash up front I have zero leverage if any issues. Also seeing 2 yr warranty, 2 yr service agreement parts and Labor on the Razor - anyone else seeing this?
You are seeing 2 years parts AND labor?? As in if a speed controller goes bad within 2 years, you will get a new speed controller AND they will pay to have it installed as well?

washregal

Reaction score
Ok here I go:

pgrzes

Reaction score
Another thing to offer is who the installer is?? You might be able to get some info from others that may know or have used them?

soapy

Reaction score
Installs for me in the past generally go like this. Machine hits your property you need a bank draft to pay for the machine. To remove a old machine and keep it functional for resale runs $5000, if just a tear out they do it for free and keep the old machine for parts that they can resell. 1 to 2 days to set the new machine in place and get ready for the electrical. The distributor leaves and lets your electrician get to wiring the unit. Usually a week for the electrician is sufficient. Plumbers can also do their part i=during this week. Distributor comes back to hook hoses up to the plumbing per spec and fire up the machine. Usually some trouble shooting will take a couple of days to trace some wiring issues both by the electrician and by the equipment MFG. Once it is up and running let it run for a month or so and take notes of issues that crop up so the distributor can work them out. As for paying mine went like this for labor. 50% once the machine is sitting in the bay ready for the electrician. another 40% when the machine is actually running and the final 10% a month or so later when you are satisfied with its operation. My distributor usually charges about 10K but your other prices look in line with what I have seen.

mac

Reaction score
For a retrofit like this, the water and electric seem way too high. On a reload like this, at least here in FL, there are no permits required as you are not changing any of the services. We usually do that as part of the install since it doesn't amount to much. Two guys should have it squirting water in 5 days and a day or two to tweak it and enjoy the local scenery. The way I see it your good old distributor is charging you around $32,000 for something that most do for 10 to 12,000. That's probably the reason he is offering that warranty. You just have to trust that he will be around if it's needed.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I gotta agree with Mac on this. As I stated earlier, about dbl what it should cost.

bighead

Reaction score
yup, mac speaks the truth once again.... listening would be wise

sparkey

Reaction score
When I purchased my razor I had the distributor mount the rails and hang the machine. I did everything else myself. They did come out for startup but I am thinking they didn't charge me anything extra for one day labor to hang the machine. I believe it came with a one year warranty. Your distributor must be selling you an extra year. If you are paying extra for the second year its a waste of money. This thing never breaks down.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
When process equipment is involved, the engineering, management and administration of it (i.e. install project) usually represents between 13 and 16 percent of the total cost.

Your cost is $35,800.

If we assume 16 percent, total cost would be $223K and equipment cost $188k.

HCW

Reaction score
Washregal
I'll PM you my experience with an install and hope you learn from it.

Overachiever

Reaction score
Washregal
I'll PM you my experience with an install and hope you learn from it.
Can you PM me too? I'm basically doing the same project as washregal except I need to raise the roof and lengthen the bay a little bit.

And as a point of reference here are the installation numbers I was quoted (2 years ago and finally getting this thing off the ground this year - so I'm sure the prices have gone up a little since then):

Plumbing $4,000.00
Electrical $10,000.00
Installation $13,475.00
Freight $2,865.00

6 month labor warranty that is extended for 6 more months with a chemical contract.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Over, what equipment u putting in?
Wash regal, wpuld like it if you put it out there foe all. Leave distributor.name off if needs

wash4me

Reaction score
Need turn key price. I had a distributor tell me that my quote included everything but the "new hoses and stuff. Turned out "hoses and stuff was about $15,000. Well, turned out they also needed labor to install the "hoses and stuff".
I think you should get another installer or a different brand machine if you can't get an alternate distributors quote to install this one. No one that tries to steal money from you is going to be happy if you tell them to reduce the price. They are going to find a way to take advantage of you. If they can't they won't actually perform the work they will find someone else to take advantage of.