What's new

IBA - Advise on a new wash

WashSingh

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new to the IBA world - in the past I've only owned Self Service washes. I've been digging through the forum looking for guidance, and I was hoping you guys could provide me your insight and feedback. The site I recently acquired is in Northern Virginia, and it has an existing (16 Year old) Ryko Softgloss unit. It works, but not very well. I'm looking to put in a new automatic at the site, and have been looking at my options. I've been doing this by not only looking at the different IBA manufactures, but also the reputations of the service providers who sell them as well.

My bay is (34ft - L x 15ft - W x 12 - H), with a tiny machine room of (6th -L x 4ft - H). Adding on more space is unfortunately not possible due to the local county ordnance. So, the measurements above are all I have to work with. I discussed my location with a local PDQ representative, however after a few meetings he stated that a large concerns of his were the height of the bay, water pressure/inflow pipe size, and the heat tube being literally inches from the Bridge if he were to conduct the install. So - unfortunately that option seems to be out. The double cost from going to touchless from friction is also a concern of mine as well.

I've been looking at Ryko as another option. I was thinking that another Softgloss unit might be a good solution, however I'm very concerned by some of the issues people have come across on these forums, as well as other Ryko owners in my area. Particularly, the delay in service response and technicians taking days, or even weeks to fix an issue. I can't imagine my wash being down for that long. Furthermore, from what I read only Ryko service technicians can service/fix/diagnose Ryko machines, and ordering parts can only be done via a technician? And only from Ryko?

I consider myself very hands on. I fix all my Self Serve washes on my own. I, with time would want to be able to fix my machine on my own as well - but that would be impossible if I cannot diagnose or order parts when I need to. Is this all I'm hearing/reading correct? Please give me your feedback, and if you own Ryko Softgloss machines - please let me know what you think!

Thanks in advance for your comments and feedback!

BBE

Reaction score
if you're putting in a touchless you shouldn't need tube heaters.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I've got a Mark VII GT-500 (touchless) in a bay smaller than yours.

if you're putting in a touchless you shouldn't need tube heaters.
I don't understand BBE's statement. I need tube heaters for all of my autos (6 touchless, 1 friction).

BBE

Reaction score
Most touchless have weep options. I don't know any laserwash's or washworld units that have tube heaters in them.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
The Height of your wash bay is your main concern sounds like by your post, The equipment room is small also. You could order a on floor/enclosed style pump stand and mount it outside backside of building somewhere. You almost would be better converting a self serve bay maybe adding brickwork and concrete just depends on how much you want to spend on this project doing building structure can get expensive fast a 150K project turn into 250K project in a hurry. Upload some pictures for the veterans on this site of the wash for more detailed advice,

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
It usually pays to start at beginning. One fundamental is to match development cost with market potential.

Let’s assume 50 washes per day and average revenue of $8.50 equal gross sales $425 X 26 days per month equal $11,050

Next, calculate net benefit from replacing existing machine, a going concern.

You described it as not working very well so let’s assume its doing about one half of the benchmark or $3,500 in sales per month.

So, benefit or gain is $11,050 - $3,500 = $7,550

Net benefit is $7,550 – ($7,550 X 0.4 expense ratio) = 4,530

Maximum payment = $4,530 / 1.5 = $3,020

So, $3,000 would be maximum payment for improvements to make financial sense.

Sanity testing of this sort can help determine if you can afford new or used or maybe it makes more sense to first upgrade existing machine to make some money first instead of digger deeper to replace or retrofit.

Hope this helps.

Ryko CS

Reaction score
For your concerns related to servicing a Ryko Softgloss, they aren't overly complicated to work on. On the older units before the touchscreen interfaces were available, they were challenging because the only way to access information was using the HPP (hand held programmer). Those are complicated, and really weren't offered for sale. For any of the current machines, they are usually ordered with the touchscreen which enables you to access setups/timers/diagnostics/counters, etc. Basically everything the HPP was used for. With some training, you shouldn't have much difficulty in handling most calls yourself. We also offer the College of Clean Rollover class where we can provide training in how to handle most basic troubleshooting as well as logic in how the machine functions. Hopefully this would help to answer most of your concerns. It's been well received from those who have attended.
For Service, we have a number of very strong technicians in your area. Of course there are always situations where something didn't get fixed first time, or there were delays, but that's usually the exception and not the rule. If you would like to speak to the local Service Manager or the Regional, please let me know and I'll get you connected.

WashSingh

Reaction score
Thank you all very much for your feedback and support! Tough decisions to make - I’ll let you know which way I end up going!

Roz

Reaction score
Anyone have firsthand experience pro/con/good/bad on Belanger Saber vs. Washworld Razor? Down to the finalists for my short low ceiling (10') IBA bay. They seem very similar with only subtile differences.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I put a High Velocity into a 10' bay. Had to modify the boom mount. Removed the boom mount bracket and made a mount to attach to the ceiling. Ceiling in bay is concrete deck so not a big deal. I know of a few others that have shortened the crossover boom mount to fit a low ceiling.

Roz

Reaction score
I am guessing that it will all come down to the show, one arm vs two, and LEDs on the Arms or not. Otherwise they seem similar and competitive.